Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Refrigerator not cooling

srgallan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

Got a new to us 2019 sportsmen in August 2022. We camp seasonally "plugged in", when we received our trailer the refrigerator was not keeping anything cool but the freezer worked great.

In the fall, the dealer agreed to repair the fridge and ultimately due to parts availability was unable to fix it and simply replaced with a brand new 12v Ever Chill.

The issue being we are back in our trailer this summer and the exact same problem. It has a 5 setting adjustment with light and the light flashes stating it was unable to reach desired temp. Any thoughts?

I am assuming it's not a refrigerator issue but assuming electrical? Any suggestions welcome - I had the dealer mobile repair come and they pulled the fuse and place again to "reset" the trailer but the issue popped back up about 3.5 hours later with the light flashing and a slightly colder than room temp.
9 REPLIES 9

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok first folks the 12 volt everchill is a compressor refrigerator. like a residential. the Hot coils are on the back near the bottom..

My guess is the original was also a 12 volt compressor and the body builder did NOT provide proper ventilation for the hot side... (No vents on the outside of the Trailer behind the thing and it's installed "Tight" inside with no vents there either) there are ways to fix that but they require modification of the mount and/or the side of the trailer.. Without more (Eyes on) Information I can't say for sure.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Those units can have problems with the smaller wire used to supply a common absorbtion fridge. EverChill says to use 10 awg wire to avoid a voltage drop - which I believe is why you're getting the flashing light.

srgallan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks, so just to contribute. I turned the freezer to the lowest temp setting and let it fully defrost for about 12 hours and turned it back on. This is the firm time since the fridge has been stable, I had no idea that it was best to keep freezer at the lowest setting.

srgallan
Explorer
Explorer
So I let it full defrost for about 16 hours, it's been 3 days and has cooled to about 2.5 degrees on the mid setting and with the freezer set on the cold setting only. So right now monitoring but wanted to thank everyone for all the input.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Everchill is a 12 volt compressor refer. I would suspect either low charge(leak) or bad compressor. Doug

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Just FYI, Wolfe10 is one of the most knowledgeable folks on this or any other forum. He is/was a primary poster in another forum and seeing him posting here is a real blessing to all of us.

srgallan
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for responding;

@wadcutter, mine is all digital with no fins in the back but I know what you mean for fins and was in my prior fridge that they replaced.

@wolfe10, I don't have rear access on this one. However, at the electric box the technician did measure 12.6. I am wondering about electrical myself considering an identical repeat problem with new fridge but unsure where to start.

Note: I have a thermometer in there and it's 63.5F/17+C as temp as my running norm for this brand new EverChill.

Wadcutter
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the freezer is working fine but the refrig part is not cooling here's something you might try. Depends on the make/model of your unit.
Open the refrigerator door and look in the inside on the back wall. In back of the refrigerator section there are probably aluminum fins. On those fins may be a small clip with a wire connected somewhere. Make sure the clip is slid over one of the fins. Check that the wire from the clip is attached to its plug. Then slide the small clip down on the fin.
This will tell your unit it needs colder air to refrigerator part.
Camped in every state

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
What is battery voltage at the refrigerator (check at the outside access/back of refrigerator)?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/