cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replace television

Salty_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
When traveling north on the Alaska Highway, a mounting bolt broke and destroyed the rear cover of our TV. This part is not available for replacement. Now that we are headed back to the lower 48, I am looking to replace it. What concerns should I have regarding a replacement TV? Our rig is a 2021 Montana 3791RD and had the original 50" TV - 120V. Thanks in advance!
Wife, kids, somebody else's kids, dog, kitchen sink

Cleverly disguised as an adult.
6 REPLIES 6

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Oh one item of interest
Some campgrounds offere cable TV

BY Federal law all TV's sold in the US must offer ATSC (American Television Standard Comittee) Digital decoders (This is broadcast TV standard) most, if not all, also decode NTSC (National Television Standards Comittee) The old analog standard.

QAM however (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation) (Digital cable) decoders are NOT reuired by law (NOTE Decoder may also be called Demodulator)

Last I knew ELEMENT did not include QAM. in their tuners... Most others do.

I just got one at a pawn shop that was the right size.. Very happy.

Another consideration is inputs.. The TV I'm using now has one HDMI one Standard 3-lead (Composite) one Computer and one Antenna (RF) in.

The one I got at the pawn shop had I think two 3-lead and 3 HDMI in addition to the VGA computer nand A RGB ...
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
My experience with Vizio is they are good but may have minimal features such as audio adjustments. Go where you can see them and go through the menu systems.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good point. I repaired a plastic A/C cover with fiberglass, some sanding and spray paint. Yo u can't tell that a Cottonwood tree branch fell on it.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thermoguy wrote:
I think you only need to make sure if fits in the space you need. I have a 43" Samsung 4K TV that has been great. It sits in a cabinet (older trailer) and I don't secure it in any way, the legs on the TV hold it just fine.

First you say it destroyed the rear cover... Question does the set still work.. If so I'd just patch the rear cover. Glue someting to it to protect the innards or use somethign like eternabond or gorallia tape.. (NOTe if usign eternabond put somethign over the hole for it to stick to like a piece of paper then put the eterna bond over that overlapign by a half inch or so.. That is a very "Super" Tape and serious over kill)

Otherwise your primary concern is "Will it fit"
IN my RV I took out an old boat anchor CRT and put in anew wide flat screen. I measured carefully and the width was.. IDENTICAL.. it was not as tall however so I did a bit of cabnetrey to make the opening smaller... Looked good when I was done.. Added some storage under it as well. Wanted to add behind but never got the old round tuit.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you stick with the same size it will be fine. If it wasn't a smart tv it is time to get one. I would not get one that needs a particular service to use. Others will tell you which they are. Vizio seems to hold up well in travel trailers so a 5er should be easy for it. Newer flat screens seem to be lighter than they were. Just replaced a 55 with a 65 and it weighed 11 pounds more with the base and both weigh the same without bases.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think you only need to make sure if fits in the space you need. I have a 43" Samsung 4K TV that has been great. It sits in a cabinet (older trailer) and I don't secure it in any way, the legs on the TV hold it just fine.