cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacement City Water Inlet recommendation

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the original inlet city water connection on my rig has been leaking at the GHT connection so I'm looking to replace it. It's also a pain to tighten.

I've seen alot of 1 star reviews for bad quality/faulty parts, can anyone recommend a good brand to buy? I've got a female NPT end on mine. I'm guessing all metal maybe.

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Iโ€™m confused. Why run the pump when on city water?
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

travelRVforever
Explorer
Explorer
ValterraParts.com has tones of information on all their parts with videos explaining how the parts work and which model is best depending on your situation.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The city water connection on both of the Valterra units I mentioned is brass. Only the fresh and it's sister overflow connections are plastic.
I had to pull the sofa away from the back wall and take apart one of the armrests for access.
Puma 30RKSS

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I ran a plug in mine for a while actually two different plugs and it never wanted to seal very well. eventually I just replaced the whole unit.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Missionstreet wrote:
It's leaking when pump is on and when trying to connect
I just put a plug in mine. I never hook up the hose.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Missionstreet
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for the late reply crazy weekend wow you all are great this is amazing response.

It's leaking when pump is on and when trying to connect so I figure I might as well replace the whole assembly (the check valve to the best of my knowledge seems to be part of this one).

I've considered the Valterra (flush mount without the door) but it appears to have some complaints like the others. What's the OEM maker of this stuff? Do they have premature and D.O.A. failure complaints as well? Lol.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
he's gone

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I have some O-ring type hose gaskets, they work nice.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I just replaced mine with this one. I liked that it has a metal flange vs the plastic flange on the Camco. I've only tested it once and it worked fine. I'm heading out in a few hours for a weekend trip so I'll post back it I have any troubles.
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
You mean it's leaking when you use it, or it's leaking when using your pump?

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well how timely, I just broke my old plastic one and replaced it with this

Or I should say will replace it this morning, I have the new one sitting on my desk. I is all metal and distinctly heavier than the broken one. The pipe is brass.

You need to be careful screwing a metal fitting into a PVC one, the female piping is PVC on my TT. It is easy to cross thread when doing it.The heavy regulator was the culprit in the death of the old fitting.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
If it is only leaking at the GHT connection, I would first try a new washer in it. Get a real rubber washer, not one of the neoprene types.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have to take caution when ordering the new assembly. There are more than one size, with or without the door. I have read in the past that the few that have the plastic hose connectors do not leak over time vs those that are made of metal. So, I used that one in replacing mine a few months ago. It works fine, but is not time tested. Oh, as a footnote, they are not easy to replace. The filler and overflow hoses are cut just long enough to frustrate re-assembly. Hopefully you have other access door close to the newly installed assembly you can reach through, like an outside shower. I had to remove the outside shower box and use that access to reach in and connect the two hoses mentioned.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same issue. I bought and installed a
Valterra A01-2000VP Gravity/City Water Inlet Hatch. It seemed to be the same price everywhere online, $52. This is the model with the door, the model without the door is a different size and doesn't interchange.
Hopefully the back of yours is as easy to get to as ours was.
Puma 30RKSS