Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Replacing Concertone Stereo

dezldog1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Everyone...
Again I am looking for the voices of experience.
My Concertone stereo has shorted out in my 2006 Silverback
Fiver...was fine when parked last Fall but dead now...It zaps all fuses and sparks like crazy.
The worst of this is, I wanted to listen to music while preparing the RV for sale..uuuughh ....did not need this.
Have owned it since 2010 with no issues, now this.
I am hoping to get advice on how and what to swap this stereo out to.
The present stereo has is a rather large unit...not sure how to fill in the gaps of the hole cut for the Concertone or any unit that will mel with the present wiring system.
Also big concern is cost as I am selling the unit.Also really am hoping to keep costs to a minimum....
Any AND ALL SUGGESTIONS would be GREATLY appreciated ..

Thanking Everone in advance....
Jo
8 REPLIES 8

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just replaced my Magnadyne stereo with a double-din dashboard radio with DVD player. I originally planned on using an RV-specific stereo to avoid the cabinetry work, but turned away from every one I found after reading the reviews. The reliability reports are horrible: died after 2 months, died after 6 months, etc. I was willing to spend a few hundred bucks for something good and never found it with the RV radios. Since you're selling the RV, my suggestion is to minimize the work you have to do and just find something that fits the hole in the wall. Whoever buys your unit isn't going to give you extra credit for spending hours and hours doing something better.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on the model and its size, Crutchfield has one or two replacement RV radios that are nonstandard (larger than usual double-DIN car radios) and claim to replace certain Concertone models. They are not low-cost options, unfortunately.

If the radio doesn't work after testing, if I were in your shoes I would either leave it disconnected and sell with the caveat that the radio doesn't work, or else replace it with some standard sized car radio and put some sort of a filler panel or cubby or something to fill the remaining space.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Take it out and bench test it. If it should work, check all the wiring. Once you find the problem, Any good Automotive sound system retailer should be able to help you. May need some custom cabinet work.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

dezldog1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Krusty
Thnx for replying..really appreciated.
We did remove it yesterday,looked it over but didnt see anything too obvious...
Maybe should take another look see...
Will look it over again..

Thank you again for your time and trouble
Regards
Jo

Krusty
Nomad
Nomad
Can you pull it out and take it apart and try to see exactly what is shorted out? May be a simple fix like a wire rubbing on the frame.
Krusty
92 F-250 4x4 460 5spd 4.10LS Prodigy
97 Rustler RT190
EU2000i
Garmin

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Moved to Tech Forum from RVing in Canada/Alaska forum.

dezldog1
Explorer
Explorer
Okay...thank you ??????

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
dezldog1 wrote:
Hello Everyone...
Again I am looking for the voices of experience.
My Concertone stereo has shorted out in my 2006 Silverback
Fiver...was fine when parked last Fall but dead now...It zaps all fuses and sparks like crazy.
The worst of this is, I wanted to listen to music while preparing the RV for sale..uuuughh ....did not need this.
Have owned it since 2010 with no issues, now this.
I am hoping to get advice on how and what to swap this stereo out to.
The present stereo has is a rather large unit...not sure how to fill in the gaps of the hole cut for the Concertone or any unit that will mel with the present wiring system.
Also big concern is cost as I am selling the unit.Also really am hoping to keep costs to a minimum....
Any AND ALL SUGGESTIONS would be GREATLY appreciated ..

Thanking Everone in advance....
Jo

Maybe try posting in the Tech section?
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)