Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Roof Repair - Upgrades?

myowneq
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everyone,

I am in the middle of replacing my roof. Camper is still a 2007 Grand Surveyor. Model number escapes me, but it's a 31ft bumper pull. Long story short, water infiltrated the rubber and got into the luan and ruined that.

So, my roof is currently down to the styrofoam and I'm about to start rebuilding. I'm taping up the AC ducts since there's open gaps everywhere. I'm gonna reroute a few wires I don't like where they are at. And then any gaps elsewhere will get some gorilla tape.

But my question concerns roof accessories. AC, 3 MaxxAir vents, fridge vent, shower window, radio antenna, and 2 pvc pipe vents. We almost never watch TV so that antenna is coming out. How can I reinforce the mounting points under those? I'm going to upgrade to 3/8" plywood. Do you think that will be enough for the screws grab into and not strip without the slightest bit of torque?

Thanks for the advice.

Tim
2010 F150 XLT 4x4 SCab 5.4L
2007 Grand Surveyor
2 REPLIES 2

myowneq
Explorer
Explorer
It's amazing how many screws are up there in that roof. Felt like 200 of the buggers. I just want to give the new ones a good chance of not stripping when I install them. Probably half of these I pulled out required extra attention because they were stripped out. None of the fixtures was in danger of coming off, exact opposite actually. But it's astounding how many of the screws looked fine, plywood looked fine, but the hole was stripped out.

Thanks for the reply. ๐Ÿ™‚

T
2010 F150 XLT 4x4 SCab 5.4L
2007 Grand Surveyor

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
3/8 plywood is overkill. But, it will work just fine. There is NO force on the roof top appliances that will pull the screws out. The TV antenna, when UP, has a force when wind hits it, but standard 1 inch screws will hold it and any of the other roof top appliances in 3/8 Plywood. Doug