cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Satellite Dish question

zxer
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 'Winegard Road Trip Mission' dish manufactured before 2013.
The 'Dish Network' says that dish can no longer be used with their service.
Today I was told by Winegard that this dish will still work with 'Direct TV'.
However, I then have come across some information that contradicts this.
So I'm looking for someone here who can give me the truth.
14 REPLIES 14

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
To add to that thought, the folks who ran MotoSat before MotoSat went out of business are the same folks who started RF Mogul. Not sure who is running the business these days but I know some of them have now retired.

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
Alan_Hepburn wrote:
LouLawrence wrote:
Ex-Tech wrote:
Remember that you will be able to receive high-def reception for Direct TV ONLY with the $2200.00 Traveler dish. The domes will NOT receive HD for Direct TV.

That's not true. You can also use a manual portable home style antenna which costs a few hundred bucks for a good setup. Also, a company called RF Mogul makes a fully automatic roof mounted antenna but it costs even more!
The Winegard can be had for about $1900 and it can be self installed.

While the Winegard is certainly less expensive the RF Mogul I feel is a better value. One big factor is servicing: the RF Mogul is completely field-serviceable while the Winegard has to be shipped back to them for any service.

I realize this is a very old post, but for prosperity, I want to share my experience. Winegard has been around a long time and probably has a higher chance of remaining in business than RF Mogul. I have recently been forced to upgrade from a presumably better dish (Moto Sat) after it lost its ability to locate satellites. Sure, it was old technology, but it worked. The issue was Moto Sat is gone, and I could not get any support. RF mogul may be the better dish, but how long will they be around, or how long until they get acquired and drop past product support? This is just something to keep in mind when considering brands, especially on $2k plus purchases.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
LouLawrence wrote:
Ex-Tech wrote:
Remember that you will be able to receive high-def reception for Direct TV ONLY with the $2200.00 Traveler dish. The domes will NOT receive HD for Direct TV.

That's not true. You can also use a manual portable home style antenna which costs a few hundred bucks for a good setup. Also, a company called RF Mogul makes a fully automatic roof mounted antenna but it costs even more!

While the Winegard is certainly less expensive the RF Mogul I feel is a better value. One big factor is servicing: the RF Mogul is completely field-serviceable while the Winegard has to be shipped back to them for any service.
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
Ex-Tech wrote:

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Michelle, SD resolution can be converted and transmitted in the HD format eliminating the need for SD DTV transmission and SD receivers. But there may be other factors (marketing, equipment, etc) that related to DTV decisions.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's hard to eliminate SD as many small independent stations don't broadcast in HD. The rumor has been floating around now for several years even with specific date for it to happen, and it hasn't happened yet and doubt that it will.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

zxer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of this information, you guys rock!

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks, I should have stated it was ABC etc. There was a growing list of areas that were effected. In those areas SD only receivers don't get the local channels. The receivers have component/composite outputs for use with SD TVs.

There has also been conflicting and lack of information on the future of SD from DTV (and hence other sources). This included past dates when SD would no longer be available.

Bob

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Good posts avove. There are areas where DTV does not trasmit SD and we found this out in 2014 in central Oregon so we upgraded to HD.

We have a single receiver that we use at home and in the RV. Move the receiver, plug in 3 cables, turn it on, and in the RV push 2 buttons to raise the dish. It's a quick process and all prior recorded programs are available. And the receiver records multiple programs at the same time as needed.

This is not quite true. All of the DTV programming (other than HD only channels and the National Networks) is available everywhere in the US (and a bit of Canada and a bit of Mexico). It all comes from the same 101 satellite. It's only the Network programming (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, PBS, CW) that can be hit or miss depending upon where you are in the Country. Users of the open face antenna do not have these limitations at they will receive all 3, 99, 101 and 103, satellites

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
First of all DISH Network was incorrect that that antenna will not work with their system. I have a Winegard RoadTrip Mission antenna that works with DISH Network and it was manufactured in July 2012. As a general rule any RoadTrip antenna produced after 06/2012 will work with DISH and some produced before that date will work. There is no way to tell exactly with out trying it out. As previously stated the Roadtrip will work with DirecTV in standard definition only. If you get a Wally receiver the first thing to do is to update the firmware using an open face 3 lnb antenna setup instead of trying to do it on your dome antenna.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good posts avove. There are areas where DTV does not trasmit SD and we found this out in 2014 in central Oregon so we upgraded to HD.

We have a single receiver that we use at home and in the RV. Move the receiver, plug in 3 cables, turn it on, and in the RV push 2 buttons to raise the dish. It's a quick process and all prior recorded programs are available. And the receiver records multiple programs at the same time as needed.

Bob

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
The dome will "work" with DTV. Period.
Now, the devil is in the details. The dome will only be able to receive the signal from the DTV satellite at 101. That means that you will not be able to receive ANY DTV programming in high deg. You will need to get an DTV HD receiver but you will won't get any HD. There are also rumors that DTV will be ending there SD programming in the future. If this happens you dome will either receive no programming or limited programming but it would suddenly be in HD (on the assumption that they don't kill the 101 and shift some of their other programming to that satellite). What you certainly will not get if that happens is ANY local Networks and even today using the SD broadcast, not all of DTV's markets are available from 101.
Personally, I would keep select DISH or DirecTV and install the Winegard Trav'ler as a replacement for the dome. You would then be able to get the exact same service that any home user gets every time you park your RV. No, no in-motion but you could watch recorded programming on the road if that's a big deal for you.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I think one of the problems is that Direct has stopped standard def broadcast in many if not all areas. I understand the boxes are no longer available.

We switched to Dish and it was cheaper and high Def with almost the same programming