cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Securing a Regular Microwave in an RV: Affordable Solutions?

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everybody!

I recently purchased my first camper trailer, and I hope you'll forgive me if my question seems a bit newbie. My trailer didn't come with a microwave but instead had an air fryer installed by the private seller. Unfortunately, this doesn't work for me, and I've decided to purchase a microwave for my trailer.

However, I'm facing a problem: I don't know how to properly secure the microwave to prevent it from falling while on the road. A standard Walmart microwave would be the perfect size for my needs, but I'm unsure how to fix it in place. I found some RV-specific microwaves on Amazon that come with a special metal frame to be bolted to the cabinet, but they are 4-5 times more expensive than a regular microwave.

Could anyone suggest some affordable options for installing a standard microwave in my RV? Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

https://postimg.cc/ZBRwPHLw
image host

Mod Edit: Added url width statement to avoid forum being skewed by the photo side.
8 REPLIES 8

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, everybody, for your replies and help!

MrWizard
If you want to make sure ie gets anchored, get a piece of 1 inch Aluminum angle, screw that to the bottom of the MW along the front edge, flat side forward, now when you set the MW inplace, fasten your metal trim that goes across the bottom front to both the cabinet and the Aluminum angle, I replaced the OEM MW about 9 months ago

Click For Full-Size Image.

The original was Black Panasonic,
This one a White Hamilton Beach it is a little bit wider than the OEM, and a little bit shorter, I needed to make the cabinet opening about 1 inch wider, the Black Trim from the old MW was a good fit
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we tossed our RV microwave and installed a panasonic inverter microwave, and used the existing venting parts. In my other trailer just installed the panasonic inverter and left enough room for venting.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
There are tons of brackets, straps, hardware, etc in a hardware store or home center that will work. Spend some time looking and see what will work. It's like a big erector set.
I fastened my $30 walmart microwave with B-line strut and bolts.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
When the OEM Sharp MW in our motorhome failed, instead of paying $300+ for an "RV" replacement, I found an $88 Hamilton Beach 1000 watt MW at Walmart that was the exact same height and width. I easily transferred the vented surround front panel from the Sharp to the Hamilton Beach, and with just some small shims to get the height just right, installed the unit using the original screw holes in the cabinet frame. That was about 6 years ago, and the low cost unit is still working perfectly no matter how many times we've driven over the rough sections of I-88 in NY and I-81 through PA...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
An RV microwave has ducts to force exhaust out the front plus is secured by the front panel, called a trim ring or plate.

You could of course use a metal strap across the top of an ordinary microwave to secure it but that doesn't address the vented heat and moisture.
-jbh-

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Do a search for RV IN THE CABINET Microwaves. This link shows just one of many. Your pic shows the original M/W and mount face plate was removed. You MUST use a M/W for RV installation for best anchor results. Doug

https://www.amazon.com/Tough-Grade-Camper-Microwave-Stainless/dp/B08CRXL5SX/ref=asc_df_B08CRXL5SX/?t...

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
If the mic fits past the front frame work. Take a piece of wood stain to match what you have. Make a lip so mic will not slide out.
You could even screw cups, for the mic feet to fit into in the bottom of compartment.

Good Luck
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly