Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Setting up Solar on my Moho

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
This is my plan;

07 Tiffin 30DA, basically stock with 2 12v 100ah batteries. It had 2 6v's in it when we got it.... but they were toast, and these were almost new and free.

As I understand it... (could be completely wrong) by going to lithium batteries I save weight and get farther draw down than flooded, thus increasing my available ah's.

I plan on running 6 125watt flexible panels on my roof, and replace the batteries, and inverters with newer tech that marries with the solar system. My quandary is do I stay 12 volt and do more batteries. Or bite the bullet and go high voltage trying for better efficiency.

The end goal isn't to be able to reliably boondock and run the coach. I'm not interested in being able to run my roof top AC, I have a gennie if I need it.
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP
11 REPLIES 11

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Were booked for next week and will test the 12v system as it sits
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy Kowboy

I would check on the reliability of flexible panels and there losing power quicker over time..Will Prowse has a good video on them and comparing them to rigid...I "was" going to do the same..

I have two lithium and there great for boondocking and why I took the step..They charge up fast and do not have to be fully charged..I have been running a compressor fridge with just one of them for several months and could easily keep it charged with my solar..I am going on 9 days running it today at 32% SOC..It is nice not to have to worry about that 50% cut off AGM's have before damage..

I ran that fridge off of my agm with a 100 watt solar panel on the roof this summer and it kept it in the float mode most of the time..Did good IMO but prefer Lifepo4 because of the ease of charging and 100% discharge if necessary..

Good luck on your choice
Jayco
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
Never mind. whoops.

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
Friends of our purchased a used 28' Tiffin two years ago. It was massively upgraded. I know they have four Lifeline AGM's in one bank with 600 watts on the roof, and another bank with another four Lifeline batteries charged by 400 watts on the roof.

They sent me the ad and asked if it was a good buy. I responded that if they didn't buy it within 24 hours we would. I believe it has the same wheelbase as our F150 and turns on a dime.

Food for thought,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
160 Watts on the Roof, 100 watt portable
Two 100 ah SOK LFP Batteries

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
If your current batteries are sufficient, why change them out until they start to fail?
Yes, large size wire needed for a 12 volt system is more cumbersome but once itโ€™s installed, it doesnโ€™t matter.

Have never done a test of how the present battery system holds up. But from past experience it won't make it through a cold night using the heater.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the answers, still in the "planning" stage. Been doing TONS of research. Will be going over all systems next week and figure out what is in it to start with. This stuff aint cheap and I'd like to be able to run most everything but the AC off of solar. It looks like lithium is the way to go for batteries. Cost in the long run is cheaper than wet batteries. Still digging.
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
If your current batteries are sufficient, why change them out until they start to fail?
Yes, large size wire needed for a 12 volt system is more cumbersome but once itโ€™s installed, it doesnโ€™t matter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 48v. It's nice not having to deal with big fat wire.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't mess with little 125 watt panels unless that's all you can make fit. Larger 300 to 400 watt panels are much less expensive, easier to find, and easier to wire up.
If you're planning on even a medium size system I would go 24 volt minimum but 48 volt would be the best choice. You can just use a 48 volt to 12 volt converter to keep your factory 12 volt systems powered.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of pre-selecting panels and making them fit, select panels to maximize your roof area. You want as much wattage as possible because of the numerous factors that lower PV output.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
How much does your Tiffin weigh? I don't think that the savings will matter.
I would stay away from the flex panels and install 5 or 6 200 watt panels, or 3 350 watt panels.
I would stay with a 12 volt system.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.