cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shurflo 4008 water pump failure

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up…The water 11 yr old Sureflo 4008 water pump in my truck camper started making some truly CRAZY LOUD water hammering racket, but was still operable…So I was forced to investigate…Had to unload the dang camper from the truck to access the pump’s front bulkhead heated compartment…

Upon accessing the pump I found that 3 semi-longish stainless screws had dropped out of the (pot metal) pump head, and one side of the head had started to separate from the main pump body (but no leaks!)…Not good… So I assumed that over 11 yrs vibration had caused the screws to work loose, and could be easily set right, but upon further inspection found that was not the case!…Turns out that 3 of the pump head’s SS screws had actually ‘sheared off’ (unbelievable!!) within the main body (also pot metal) of the pump, apparently the result of a freezing episode, though I’ve been cautious and have no recollection whatsoever of a single below freezing event…

When not in use the camper is stored inside a heated RV garage…FWIW, a few years back I’d augmented the worthless OEM 2” corrugated basement heat duct with an additional 4” plenum direct duct, so I have no idea how or when (over a time) this problem might have occurred??…Either way, by now the camper probably has about 185k miles on it, so I suppose got good service- life out of the pump…

Got a new replacement pump today for $136, so all is well again - just very grateful for no water leaks!!

3 tons
0 REPLIES 0