cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SiO2, Lead Crystal, Soneil Batteries

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
For various reasons I have purchased a pair of Soneil, SiO2, 260ah, batteries from Azmuth Solar.

Are there any other users here of any version/brand of SiO2 (lead crystal) batteries?

Either respond here or send me a PM.

I've found this can be a hot topic, but I'm not interested in arguing.

Thanks,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
160 Watts on the Roof, 100 watt portable
Two 100 ah SOK LFP Batteries
34 REPLIES 34

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
PerryB67 wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:
I just hate seeing people spend more money than they have to , I would make a horabile company owner haha
I did not want to make my own lithium bank, and now Battleborn sells a 270 ah lithium for only $2,800. Our 260 ah Soneils cost $1,000 delivered to our door. There is no way I'm spending an extra $1,800 for nearly the same ah's, especially when Battleborn was hesitant on recommending their batteries for our situation.

Enjoy,

Perry

I didn't say to build one anywhere in your thread, I just replied to a statment you made that didnt make any sence at all as to why not to pick LFP, it confused a few other people also, then PT got in and things went from there haha, I apoligize. I still don't see how your situation justifies SiO2 over LFP and ya Battleborn is the most overpriced there is most other companies are selling for way less now, but like I said on the last post its a moot point you already bought them.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
PerryB67 wrote:
We have a seasonal campsite .8 mile from our home. In the fall I store the camper near the entrance where the campground owner blows snow, so we can take off in Jan/Feb to head south. In that location we are not allowed to use the campground electricity. We use solar to keep the batteries charged and sometimes use the camper for overflow guests at our home. I want to immediately use the batteries no matter how cold it is outside. Azmuth had no problems with this scenario, since cold weather use is one of SiO2's attributes. Not only do I want to be able to use the batteries in cold weather, I want to be able to charge them without having to run the furnace. When I talked to Battleborn they weren't too keen about either idea.

Perry
I am just tired of people posting thengs that are wrong about LFP and others seing that and thinking they cant use them.
Steve
My last sentence states: "When I talked to Battleborn they weren't too keen about either idea." That was enough for me to look elsewhere. I just felt Battleborn was honest and certainly implied my situation was not necessarily the best for their batteries. I know recently they released a "heated" version and perhaps that would have changed their opinion, but I'm going to listen to Battleborn first.

StirCrazy wrote:
I just hate seeing people spend more money than they have to , I would make a horabile company owner haha
I did not want to make my own lithium bank, and now Battleborn sells a 270 ah lithium for only $2,800. Our 260 ah Soneils cost $1,000 delivered to our door. There is no way I'm spending an extra $1,800 for nearly the same ah's, especially when Battleborn was hesitant on recommending their batteries for our situation.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
PerryB67 wrote:

pianotuna seems to understand my reasoning.

Steve, are you another user?

Enjoy,

Perry

no, and niether is Pianotuna ๐Ÿ˜‰ I almost bought them but there were some aspects of them I didnt like so I decided to go with LFP as I will never be camping in -20C or below. -10C is my limit for camping and I am incorperating a warming system so in an emergency I would camp in -40 but that would just be for some reason if I have to go through Mantoba on the way to somewhere warm :0

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
PerryB67 wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

who was talking about recharing them when cold, he said he would have to take them out for long periods when he wasnt there. no, you simply need to turn them off and let them sit. sitting in the cold over the winter wont hurt them and in the spring when you go back to your seasonal site you just turn the switch back on.

maybe we need some claification on what he ment by that statment but I took it as removing the batteries for the off season when they wernt using it.

Steve
First of all this is now a moot point. We already own a set of Soneil 260 ah batteries, but.....

We have a seasonal campsite .8 mile from our home. In the fall I store the camper near the entrance where the campground owner blows snow, so we can take off in Jan/Feb to head south. In that location we are not allowed to use the campground electricity. We use solar to keep the batteries charged and sometimes use the camper for overflow guests at our home. I want to immediately use the batteries no matter how cold it is outside. Azmuth had no problems with this scenario, since cold weather use is one of SiO2's attributes. Not only do I want to be able to use the batteries in cold weather, I want to be able to charge them without having to run the furnace. When I talked to Battleborn they weren't too keen about either idea.

Perry

so by looking at your senario (I know its a moot point that you have already bought them, that wasnt clear, ( it looked like you were looking for opinions) anyways I was only stating that LFP would have worked just greatfor you if I am understanding your use. when you disconect them they only loase about 1% of charge per month so when you move it to the spot you keep it it would be pretty much how you left it with out solar. and if you go down south to camp in the winter your obvioulsy going some where warmer. you can use LFP (discharge) down to -20 degrees C. charge a a little below 0 but not much. this is battery temp not outside temp.

but since you got SiO2 then be happy with them, they are a definat step up from normal lead asid batteries and even AGM. I am just tired of people posting thengs that are wrong about LFP and others seing that and thinking they cant use them. aside from Pianotuna I have only seen maybe 1 other person that uses the batteries in an extream way but that other person does use LFP, he just has them inside the heated space, and I understand Piano's reluctance to do that as he is in a motor home with lots of batteries and to do a change in type, although it would save hime a bunch of space and give him even more capacity the other costs of figuring out how to keep them warm and or pre warm them for his aplication is to much, so eventualy he will be an owner of SiO2 batteries also. I just hate seeing people spend more money than they have to , I would make a horabile company owner haha

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
Well, the OPโ€™s information is a bit sketchy, Iโ€™m still confused by the reference of amp/hrs capacity vs amps current - some clarity is lacking...
As I stated in a previous post I've corrected my grammar.

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

PerryB67
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:

who was talking about recharing them when cold, he said he would have to take them out for long periods when he wasnt there. no, you simply need to turn them off and let them sit. sitting in the cold over the winter wont hurt them and in the spring when you go back to your seasonal site you just turn the switch back on.

maybe we need some claification on what he ment by that statment but I took it as removing the batteries for the off season when they wernt using it.

Steve
First of all this is now a moot point. We already own a set of Soneil 260 ah batteries, but.....

StirCrazy wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Steve,

I am not willing to move 7 batteries and the starter battery and the generator battery at -30. Now do you understand why cold weather performance is necessary for me?

Oh are you the original poster using a different name? I didnt think this was about you...

pianotuna seems to understand my reasoning.

I'm not here to argue though. This is my rational and it works for me.

I started this thread to find other users. Steve, are you another user?

Enjoy,

Perry
2016 Bigfoot 25RQ

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
Steve,

I am not willing to move 7 batteries and the starter battery and the generator battery at -30. Now do you understand why cold weather performance is necessary for me?

Oh are you the original poster using a different name? I didnt think this was about you...
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Steve,

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:

why would you have to remove them? just have a shut off switch and turn them off when you leave.

Steve

Steve,

You can't recharge Li when they are cold. If it is -30, it may take HOURS of furnace run time to warm up the RV and the battery bank, even if it is in the living quarters. So it may be impossible to get the battery bank to where it is possible to recharge it, unless it is a massive bank to start with. If you roll your own--fine--but if you are buying drop in it may cost a pretty penny. The alternative is to remove the batteries to a warm environment and then return them to the RV.

I realize this is an outlier possibility--but it is the situation in which I live and RV in.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
My lead acid bank doesn't mind at all, and solar keeps it 100% charged.
Hot weather is much more damaging to LA batteries, and mine showed a significant loss of capacity when cold.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2oldman wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
Here is what Perry said 2oldman
I read what he said. I doubt I'd be leaving any batteries in severe temperatures like that, no matter what the specs are.

My lead acid bank doesn't mind at all, and solar keeps it 100% charged.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the OPโ€™s information is a bit sketchy, Iโ€™m still confused by the reference of amp/hrs capacity vs amps current - some clarity is lacking...

3 Tons, fully harvested in sunny (ugg!) Las Vegas

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
Here is what Perry said 2oldman
I read what he said. I doubt I'd be leaving any batteries in severe temperatures like that, no matter what the specs are.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman