Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slow Cooker Underway

atp20
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

Are there any safety concerns in operating a slow cooker while driving?

The heating element is rated at 120W and would run off a 2kW inverter, drawing from a 100Ah battery. The alternator supply has a circuit breaker that trips at 50 amps.

I was thinking about securing the slow cooker in the sink somehow. Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

Jerry S
Leisure Travel Class B
S FL
Jerry S.
2003 Leisure Travel Free Spirit
South Florida
12 REPLIES 12

rbrand
Explorer
Explorer
We have done that in our MH a number of times. The only problem is around 2 the wonderful smell of dinner really gets to you while you are driving.

Just wrap a towel around the pot to keep it from moving.
The less you plan the more options you have.

Currently with a 26' Forest River Class "C"

Ex Navy Diver
Ex Archaeologist
Ex Museologist
Actively retired

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine on the floor in a tray that wont slide just in case it would spill. (Never has) My sink is not metal and I was afraid of it melting the sink. 2 lb chuck roast, a little water, Potatoes, Carrots, 2 packs of Lipton onion soup, on low for 6 hours. You will stop early for supper.
Dennis Hoppert

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The only "Special" consideration is movement due to sudden stop/turn etc.

So I have two slow cookers.. (Well 3) one fits PERFECTLY in the small side of my Sink.. and that's where it rides when in use.

There are ways I could secure the others too but that one runs on 12 volt as well. lost the 120 volt cord for it .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
Not saying that it will, but wonder if a sudden stop, like driving/slamming, into something would/could cause the lid to fly off and the hot food in the cooker fly forward and burn someone.

If it's in the sink, it can't fly forward very far unless you have much bigger concerns (like being upside down). You might get some sloshing in the sink or even on the counter. If it's a concern, though, it's not too hard to rig up a string or something to hold the lid on quite solidly.

John_Burke
Explorer
Explorer
We use ours a lot. It is a 12 volt, must be a quart and a half. we picked up at a truck stop. Works great. I use it when tent camping with my grandkids. Load it up at noon and by 5 supper is ready. With the kids it sits on the floor with a couple of things around it, in the camper we put it in the sink. Never have had a spill in 15 years. We have a 12 outlet close to the sink.
Wanted to see what it would do to a battery. I took a plain automotive battery, filled the crock pot with water and turned it on. Water came up to 175 degrees after a few hours, I left it on until the battery came down to 11.00 volts. Took 2 1/2 days.
Would not hesitate to use a 120 volt model with a inverter. Works great on the longer travel days or sightseeing days.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Not saying that it will, but wonder if a sudden stop, like driving/slamming, into something would/could cause the lid to fly off and the hot food in the cooker fly forward and burn someone.

radiojeffrv
Explorer
Explorer
Like some others said.... do it all the time with no issues.... aside from making the RV smell great and making me hungry lol

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, no safety issues. Do it from time to time with pretty awesome results.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Ours rides in the sink if in use underway. Have 2 small ceramic bowls that fit perfectly to wedge the crock pot so that it doesn't slide around. As you approach your destination, the smell of dinner cooking can be maddening. Just a warning.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
atp20 wrote:
I was thinking about securing the slow cooker in the sink somehow. Any other suggestions?

I do it all the time, no securing required, but open a vent down the back a little, you do not want to drive for 6 hours smelling dinner cooking!!!

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the sink is the usual place to put them while underway.
At least that I've read about.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
No problem.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman