cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Smoke alarms

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
We just replaced our smoke alarm in the Camper. We bought one that has the internal battery - long-life, ten years they say - and is not hard-wired because we do lots of boondocking and have no power.

We also need replacement in our sticks and bricks, which is hard-wired and the ones we'll replace are already hard-wired and 9v battery backup. Anyone have a reccomendation for these house detectors. I see so many, and want to buy a quality replacement. Some are combo Smoke and CO detectors. We see so much poor quality tech stuff nowadays that fails almost by the time you get it home. Wonder if anyone on here can offer advice.

thx guys... M44
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic
6 REPLIES 6

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
The brand in it is not longer available. I'll probably have to replace the mount too. No big deal. It just screws into an electric box.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

RckyMtnVia
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the ones in our house with 10-year battery ones and no problems because I got the same brand as the ones already installed, Kidde. That means they have the same connecters and I do not have to rewire and replace the ones already installed. Make sure you check the connecters since each brand is different.
2022 Forester MBS 2401B

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I bought two smoke detectors and they were the new 10 year battery type.
bumpy

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks guys. I had thought Kidde was a good brand. And, I know we have five in our home, so will buy all five same and sync'd. It's already wired, these are replacements. Install date was 2013, so ten years old ... just started rendom warning beeps. Time to replace. Happy Camping !!! M44 & Genie... Stay safe.
Monkey44
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Kidde battery ones in my RV and the Hard Wired in the house. They are inter connected,and I am satisfied with them.

Here in Calif all new construction must have them,my son-in-law uses them in the company he owns.Always passes inspection with flying colors.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Many of the 120V hardwired home smoke detectors are also linked together, if yours is linked then you will need to replace with same brand.

If not linked, most any of the big brand names like Kidde, First Alert would be good choices. Stay away from no name generic store brands..

You are also better off buying separate Smoke and CO detectors instead of combo types. This allows more flexibility in where you place the smoke and CO detectors and I personally like CO detectors which include a digital readout. The reason for the readout is under normal conditions the CO levels should ALWAYS be at ZERO PPM.

Due to too many nuisance CO alarms the sensitivity of the actual audible alarm trigger level has been raised from 15 PPM in 10-15 minutes to 70 PPM alarm in 60-240 minutes exposure time, 150 ppm for 10 to 50 minutes, or 400 ppm for 4 to 15 minutes.

I use a wood furnace to heat my home, backup gas furnace, have a gas water heater and a gas stove/oven.. So, having a readout is very helpful for me to discover the issue, find and fix the CO source before it gets to alarm trigger levels. Often times in the winter the wood furnace stack can cool a bit too much and still have some burning embers which results in a down draft in the wood furnace stack and CO goes into the house instead of up the stack.

$20 HERE

Plug in 120V and backup battery powered in case of power outages.