Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar tracker, wow

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Found this. It is worth its own thread.
VIDEO

A simple, near fool-proof way to track the sun.

I have 200 watts on the roof, but if I add a 3rd panel it will be portable, so I will build one of these.

For those not to follow the link, he built a solar mount that has two motors. One up down, the other right left. They are powered by 4 little solar panels, just big enough to run a motor. The panel cast a shadow on all 4 little panels, so when the panel is perfect the motors have no power, but when the sun moves and hits one panel it has power to move the motor. This move the panel until the shadow is cast again and the motor stops.
The opposing panels are wired into one motor and are opposite polarity, so one moves it forward, the other backwards and this lets it go automatically right or left (or up and down). Genius.
5 REPLIES 5

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wL9PcGu_xrA
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
May work well but looks like heck. Why not just a couple more panels on the roof?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are many tracker examples in the above controller link including both elevation and azimuth tracking.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is indeed very clever and hopefully will be developed into a viable solar panel tracker for use on planet earth.

A solar panel will have a lot of wind force and any support has to be very substantial. The tracker below suggests what can be required for support. The elevation is set manually and the servo at the bottom of the frame provides azimuth tracking. The glass bottle on the frame upper right contains 2 diodes that instruct the servo which way to adjust. At the end of the day the panel will be repositioned for the rising sun.

The tracker below was sized for 2 panels but he found one to be adequate for his purpose with the tracker. The shadow on the panel is from an adjacent rig in the morning. The servo and controller power comes from the rig battery which as I recall adjusts the panel every 5 minutes so the draw is very minimum. The setup is stored flat on the trailer under his ATV.

Hereโ€™s a link to the controller with more information. http://www.redrok.com/led3xassm.htm#led3xforsale

Click For Full-Size Image.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Neat
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman