cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Some Good Info on Battery Bank Size, Etc

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Might be something "new" here and there in this link for folks.

A good read-- scroll down to the Renewable Energy stuff for some tips on how to size your bank for your solar scenario. Like don't have too many batteries.

There is a useful charging profile graph for their AGMs. (Note they use a higher Vabs than some do and that they use a different "end amps" amount) There is also a handy temperature compensation table for those with manual setting adjustable voltage chargers. Note mention to use battery temp, not just ambient.

Also useful on how long to wait to do a refresh charge on a stored battery depending on ambient temp during storage.

Different things of interest throughout, depending on your own situation.

http://www.hespv.ca/hesproductspecs/Stark/Stark_Battery_MSDS_ENG.pdf
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.
2 REPLIES 2

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Great Link BFL13.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Every cannibal tribe has a different recipe for "How To Serve Your Fellow Man".

A miscalculated system leaves your batteries perpetually undercharged.

A miscalculated system does not have any reserve day-to-day. Results in over-discharging the batteries till next charging session.

But factor this in. Any type of battery is difficult to charge the last 5%

Let's use a 100 mp hour group 27 wet battery.

A single battery may be at 7 amps total the last 5%
2 of them 14 amps total
4 of them 28 amps total

Get the picture? But the charger must be big enough to stuff the batteries during the shortest bad weather solar day. But this is why generators exist.

I opted for a 28 volt system where THIRTY AMPS means FLOATING the batteries. 700 amps means a saturated charge. Get the picture. Lithium? Anyone want to donate thirty grand then new chargers to upgrade my batteries? ๐Ÿ™‚