cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Starting engine with dead key fob

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a car with "keyless starting" for several years, but only today did I learn a way to start the engine when the key-fob battery goes dead. This is for a Chrysler 300, but it may apply to other makes. The following is from the owner's manual.

NOTE: In case the ignition switch does not change with
the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may
have a low or dead battery. In this situation a back up
method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put
the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the
Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and
push to operate the ignition switch.

Maybe most people already know this, but there may be someone out there who is as ignorant as I am.
9 REPLIES 9

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
AFAIK ALL cars with the "keyless" ignition have a backup method of starting the car. The two most common are placing the fob very close to the ignition button, or a key slot somewhere else in the car, often in the glovebox.

Went to get gas and groceries one day. DW got of of the car to walk to the grocery store while I was in the gas line. DW was about 50 yards away when car warned me it would shut off since could no longer sense a key....... Didn't realize I didn't have my key with me and it was DW's key in her purse that let me start the car. Yelled across the parking lot for her to come back!
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
My BMW has a fob and keyless system too. The fob rarely comes out of my pocket, and the car will alert you when the fob battery needs to be replaced. But there is also a slot on the dash into which you can insert the fob to start & run the car. The fob also has an old fashioned key hidden inside to open the driverโ€™s door the old fashioned way in case either the fob battery or the carโ€™s battery totally dies.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
wa8yxm wrote:
I will tell you another thing about some if not all Fords.
There is a Fuel Cut off designed to shut off fuel to the engine in the event of an "EVENT" This Event may be a fender bender or .. Well for me it was a pot hole. Blew a tire and tripped the )!@#$23 switch... NOW you need to RTFM to find where it is but on the Mercury Tracer Wagon it's in a "Hidden" compartment in the back of the back near the fender well.. I knew where to find it so no problem when it triped... but I can't tell you how many times I called over to Enterprise Customer service for someone who did not have their manual and did not know where the blasted button was for a Ford Product. (Enterprise has manuals for everything they rent. They Rent a number of Fords. and rather like that Michigan State Police often recover vehicles for them.

Reminds me of a Harley I sold a guy. They have ignition kill switches on the FOB. The dude put the FOB in his pocket and drove off. An hour later, I get a call. The bike shut off on a freeway offramp. I'm thinking he did something really stupid to the bike and seized the motor. I'm thinking it through and ask him about the FOB. Yeah. Saved the day and the hour it would have taken to drive down there to check out the bike.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will tell you another thing about some if not all Fords.
There is a Fuel Cut off designed to shut off fuel to the engine in the event of an "EVENT" This Event may be a fender bender or .. Well for me it was a pot hole. Blew a tire and tripped the )!@#$23 switch... NOW you need to RTFM to find where it is but on the Mercury Tracer Wagon it's in a "Hidden" compartment in the back of the back near the fender well.. I knew where to find it so no problem when it triped... but I can't tell you how many times I called over to Enterprise Customer service for someone who did not have their manual and did not know where the blasted button was for a Ford Product. (Enterprise has manuals for everything they rent. They Rent a number of Fords. and rather like that Michigan State Police often recover vehicles for them.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
I've had a car with "keyless starting" for several years, but only today did I learn a way to start the engine when the key-fob battery goes dead. This is for a Chrysler 300, but it may apply to other makes. The following is from the owner's manual.

NOTE: In case the ignition switch does not change with
the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may
have a low or dead battery. In this situation a back up
method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put
the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the
Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and
push to operate the ignition switch.

Maybe most people already know this, but there may be someone out there who is as ignorant as I am.

I made a point of looking that up in the owner's manual when I got my first vehicle like that (a Toyota Sienna.) Seems to be either that method, or a hidden spot to push, like in the Ford mentioned above.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Look up your model, all makes manafatures do it diffrently. On some the start button pops off and there is a key slot. Its good to know so you dont get stuck somewhere.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
Good tip. There are plenty of people who don't know what an owner's manual is for.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
On our Ford Edge you have to remove the center console tray and there is a slot to slide the key fob into for emergency start.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I don't own a vehicle with that system. I've never heard of that trick but it is good to know.
There's nothing wrong with being ignorant, I have a lifetime of practice. ๐Ÿ™‚