cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban Hot Water heater

deewhite0612
Explorer
Explorer
Our propane water heater is not firing up. the reset light is on. There is propane going to the cooktop and the tank is 1/2 full. we have checked the fuses, checked the reset buttons on the heater and the heater seems to want to fire up up, but it doesn't. Is there anything else we can check before we call someone in to come and look at it. We are in South Texas and it has been very wet and cold.
Michael and Daryl (Dee)
2006 Newmar Kountry Star 3778
2008 Saturn Vue XR V6
Blue Ox Alladin
Brake Buddy Classic
6 REPLIES 6

deewhite0612
Explorer
Explorer
It has been fixed. There are two solenoids on the heater. One was faulty so there was no propane flowing to the igniter. We had to replace the module with the two solenoids for a cost of $139 for the part and $90 for the labour. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Michael and Daryl (Dee)
2008 Saturn Vue XR V6
Blue Ox Alladin
Brake Buddy Classic

deltamaster
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactly sure what your trouble is but mine started to malfunction a while back.

It would light but it would go out almost instantly.

I checked everything and found that the wire for the igniter was pulled out a little so I pushed it in hard and everything worked fine. I pulled the wire out and it malfunctioned again. The wire has broken inside the ceramic end. I stripped off a little insulation and pressed it in hard again and it has worked fine ever since but I know I need to replace the igniter. I guess it senses the flame somehow when it is lit and if no flame present shuts off the system.

I have looked at all the parts stores and can not find the igniter Sure would be good to replace it one day.
:E [purple]I ride it like I stole it![/purple] :B

.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

APRSRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Try working the wire connector on the igniter board off and on a few times. And if you have some contact cleaner, use it on the connection. Flame sense is done by change between electrodes by presence of flame plasma or not.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 'fault' light is on because it failed to light off main flame and prove main flame lit.

Reset by turning ON/OFF switch off wait 5 seconds then back on. Water heater will attempt to light off.
Watch it from outside to see how far it gets in sequence.
Does it 'spark'? Strong spark?
Does main flame light? Does it go right out?

Do you have AC power source available? Have you tried it on electric?

Check that ECO hasn't tripped and is reset......
Two sets of t-stats. Located in outside compartment. Black cover. Left one is for 120V AC electric element. Right one is for propane. Push/reset.

Post what is does and what it doesn't do.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

deewhite0612
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I should have said it is a Suburban SW12DE DSI. It has been working fine for months, now suddenly not working.
Michael and Daryl (Dee)
2008 Saturn Vue XR V6
Blue Ox Alladin
Brake Buddy Classic

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Which model? IS this an electronic ignition model? Check the thermocouple to be sure it is clean and in close proximity to the pilot flame.