cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Suburban WH SW10DE Shorts / Burns - how to fix?

Endricken
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, My 10 year old Suburban Water Heater shorted out somehow and activated the Smoke Detector at 2:30 AM Sunday.
Investigation (Removal of Electric Box on side of Heater) found the neutral (white) wire burned up, only the steel cone off the wire nut left (started the insulation on fire/melted about a 1x7" inch slice - what a toxic cloud of smoke that left in our living area). Hot side (Black) wire nut slightly melted from heat. Hot wired neutral from the element to the frame for testing. No juice (but breaker is still good as 120 Beeper says there's power there). Decided to check recently replaced Rocker Switch and it was fried/burned up along with the wires to it (Maybe that was the problem?). Sill need to check the Thermostat and see if its fried too...
Suburban installation instructions indicate it can be rewired. Its a very simple circuit, but how hard to fish Hot (Black) wires from box to a new switch (Hmm, maybe I should modify and put a real 120V switch in the RV as others have done - not so hard...), but what about fishing a wire from the switch to the Thermostat and then to the element?

Anyone done this?

One lesson I learned is to remove the Water Heater Electrical box, start with the 2 screws in the upper left corner of the outside panel which releases the Box (versus struggling to remove the Phillips screw on the Box lid and THEN discovering those outside screws).

Fortunately the Gas Side still works and DW is happy.

OR maybe I should have RV Service Center put in a new one or maybe try Tankless?

I've replaced the element once, the anode twice, and flush it out at least once per year.

Suggestions are appreciated!
Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter
2 REPLIES 2

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Tankless will not have a 120 option, LP gas only. If you want major operational headaches, go tankless. RV Tankless are JUNK!!! Doug

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
replace your elemant as well but a common thing lately.cheap wirenuts or oversized seem to be what i run accross.