cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Surge protector EMS-LCHW30 installation?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III

1) 2 options in the manual - before transfer switch or after. I don't have a generator, only an inverter.  The plan was to install EMS after the transfer switch, maybe I'm missing something?

2) Current sensor (there is only one in 30A model) is hanging on the wires, I don't see any attachment points, a bit strange. The manual is silent on this.

2 REPLIES 2

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III

Thanks lostalot. My thoughts exactly  - connecting PI protector downstream of the switch.  The inputs of the switch will be grid power and inverter. The RV is a travel trailer.

lostalot
Explorer
Explorer

You didn't mention what kind of RV you have.  Progressive Industries has an excellent track record producing surge protectors.  While there is a very slight chance that a generator will cause a large enough surge to damage your 120vac devices and the fact that you don't have a generator installed, although the unit seems to be wired for one.  I would connect it to the output of the transfer switch.  You should have 2 inputs to the transfer switch, one from non-existent generator and the other from shore power.  The transfer switch is normally connected via the transfer switch to the shore power line.  It requires power from a generator to actually switch.   By wiring your surge suppressor to the output of the switch, it will cover your unit if you install a generator some time in the future..