cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tail light woes

SinisterSinnful
Explorer
Explorer
I bought an '85 Fleetwood Tioga a few years back. I decided it needed a new home, and a new owner that will restore it. I am having issues though with my tail lights. I have turn signals and reverse lights work on both sides, but when I turn the head lights on the running tail lights don't come on. I have connected a trailer with all working lights, and get the same results on the trailer. I am at a bit of a loss. Please help.
7 REPLIES 7

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the fuses all check out it could also be the headlight switch itself. There's one contact for clearance & tail lights and another for headlights. This is how you have the first position for just "parking lights". If that contact has failed you won't get any lights.

Does the dash cluster light up? Those are usually on the same circuit to be an indicator that you have no tail lights.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Older Fleetwoods had a few glass fuse holders for the rear lighting usually accessed up the back wall from the outside looking up by the drivers side. Between the bottom of the rear wall up about 12 inches. Doug

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
CA Traveler wrote:
As I understand the OP his Tioga running tail lights don't work, nothing to do with any trailer.
โ€ฆโ€ฆ.. .

You are correct. Sounds like a problem with his Tioga class C MH. I got side tracked by his mention of a trailer.

First thing I would look for is a dedicated taillight fuse if the clearance lights are also not working.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
As I understand the OP his Tioga running tail lights don't work, nothing to do with any trailer.

With the lights on remove one bulb, is it OK? Any corrosion on the connector? Use a voltmeter grounded to a good frame ground for 12V and check for 12V. If OK then the problem is a ground wire or connection problem. If not OK check for voltage at the head light switch to help isolate the problem. The problem can be wiring, connectors, fuse, CB, relay or switch.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get yourself an outlet tester (They make them for the tow light socket on a Tow vehicle) and see if the tow vehicle is outputting tail light.
If not.. There may be a fuse just for the TRAILER in addition to the one for the tow vehicle's own tail lights.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Does the trailer have side clearance lights? And do they work?

What truck do you have. The tail lights may have a dedicated fuse. Get an inexpensive plug in tester to plug into the truck connector.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
As a much younger man, I got the name tag that said "Trailer Service Manager" only because I could sleuth out the bad ground problems endemic to trailer lights.

Excuse the short clarification here, but are you getting the same results from two different tow vehicles or from two different trailers...
It reads as you have the same situation with two different trailers..

Trailers should be wired so that the tail and marker lights all come on with the tow vehicles parking lights. If that is not what you are getting, the use a test light to probe the trailer connection in the tow vehicle.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.