cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Official unofficial CPE 2000i Generator Thread

pritch272
Explorer
Explorer
8/1/2010 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: Champion Inverter and Remote Gens Promo on CPE's web site)

3/22/2011 edit: Thread renamed ...
Renamed from: Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

3/23/2011 edit: Thread renamed at the suggestion of the Professor.
Renamed from: (Un)Official CPE 2000 Watt Inverter Generator Thread

Inverter Available August 2010

Remote Available July 2010

2007 Keystone Laredo 29RL, 2000 Ford F250 7.3 PSD, Firestone bags, Pressure Pro, 16" Michelin XPS Ribs, MorRyde Pin Box, Dexter EZ-Flex, PI EMS-HW30C, Dirt Devil CV950 Central Vacuum, 2000W AllPower by Kipor, 4000/3500W Champion C46540
2,927 REPLIES 2,927

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
PrivatePilot wrote:

...Champions sold in Canada DO have parallel connections, and the parallel kit is freely available...

That is great, here in the states I had to pay for mine. :B
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
PrivatePilot wrote:
FWIW, The Champions sold in Canada DO have parallel connections, and the parallel kit is freely available. I have it, it works great.

Ok , good!
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Bernadette_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
Bernadette Shoe wrote:

The Honda sold in Canada does not allow parallel operation. Apparently due to the fact that the kit connecting the units has never been CSA approved.

This I was not aware of. Looking at Costco Cda's site they advertise that it is parallel capable although they no longer have a link to the parallel kit. Last time I was at the store in Etobicoke they had the cable kit in stock?

The Champion sold in Canada and America does allow parallel connection. I also have the kit and it is rated at 25 amps or 3000 watts. Somehow, Costco feels that Canadians do not deserve to pay $60 for the parallel kit like in America, but should pay $95 (58% more) than Americans. I guess that's because we are not good enough...

Btw, if I would have decided on buying two Honda eu2000, I would have driven to Syracuse, NY and bought them from a store for $1,000 each. I naturally would have also bought the connecting cable. The only drawback of doing so is that when/if you need service during the warranty period, you need to drive south of the border to have it serviced. Naturally, you will pay $1,000/each + 6% NY sales tax + 13% HST when crossing back at the border. Still cheaper than $1,400 + 13%. Though I wouldn't have done it for the money, but because I really wanted parallel connection.

Got to Costco.ca, do a search on 'generator', then click on the Champion 2000, and the click on 'add to cart' on the second item, 'parallel-cable kit' at $94.99.

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, The Champions sold in Canada DO have parallel connections, and the parallel kit is freely available. I have it, it works great.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Bernadette Shoe wrote:

The Honda sold in Canada does not allow parallel operation. Apparently due to the fact that the kit connecting the units has never been CSA approved.

This I was not aware of. Looking at Costco Cda's site they advertise that it is parallel capable although they no longer have a link to the parallel kit. Last time I was at the store in Etobicoke they had the cable kit in stock?
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

Bernadette_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Angus_NB wrote:
Duganoz wrote:
Well I didn't (but should have) expected the reaction to my post. Yup! new to the RV world but not to electricity. I completely agree with all the rational expressed here but my point is simply that they are not equal. That is all I was meaning to state. I'm not going to read all the previous posts either (I tried) and felt this was worthy of pointing out since it appeared to be a popular topic. No offense was intended.

Stupid new guy.

If you had read through the thread you wouldn't have found many (if any) posts where we thought the Champion was equal to the Honda.
The Champion is a 1600 watt generator (despite the name), the Honda is a 2000. We know that and accept 400 watt loss at a $500 discount.

I disagree with your statements and find them highly misleading.

The Champion 2000 is a 1700 watts continuous genny. I ran it for hours pulling 1700 watts and the overload light never came on. But as soon as I reached about 1730W, the overload light came on.

In terms of power, the difference between the Honda and the Champion is that the Honda is capable of giving between 1700-2000W for a short period of time (minutes) without apparently any problem. While the Champion lasts no more than 10 seconds at 1900W.

But it should be noted that as per the Honda eu2000 owner's manual:

Substantial overloading will switch off the AC circuit protector.
Exceeding the time limit for maximum power operation or slightly overloading the generator may not switch the AC circuit protector OFF, but will shorten the service life of the generator.

Limit operation requiring maximum power to 30 minutes.
Maximum power is: 2,000 VA

For continuous operation, do not exceed the rated power.
Rated power is: 1,600 VA

So it seems that for those who need between 1700w and 2000w for short periods of time, the Honda is a better fit than the Champion. But for all those who can live with 1700w on a continuous basis, the Champion might be a better choice.

Other factors that need to be taken into account are as follow: In America you can get two Champion for the price of a single Honda. In Canada you can get three Champion for the price of a single Honda. The Honda is smaller than the Champion and quieter when pushed to its limit. But at idle (low rpm) speed, the two gennys compare very favorably in terms of noise.

Although the Honda is smaller, it might not be enough of a factor to go with one instead of the other. The Champion offers a very interesting design with the ability to stack them one on top of the other when used in parallel.

P.S. I know I am talking about watts instead of VA, but generators are mostly advertised in terms of watts. Though I agree it makes more sense to talk in terms of VA.

P.P.S. For durability, I do not think it is desirable to run either one past 1600VA. Exceeding this limit will most likely shorten the life of the unit.

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
Cedarhill wrote:
The Honda EU2000i is actually a 1600W generator.

Angus_NB wrote:

If you had read through the thread you wouldn't have found many (if any) posts where we thought the Champion was equal to the Honda.
The Champion is a 1600 watt generator (despite the name), the Honda is a 2000. We know that and accept 400 watt loss at a $500 discount.

2000 watt for 30 minutes. (Honda)
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

Cedarhill
Explorer
Explorer
The Honda EU2000i is actually a 1600W generator.

Angus_NB wrote:

Angus_NB
Explorer
Explorer
Duganoz wrote:
Well I didn't (but should have) expected the reaction to my post. Yup! new to the RV world but not to electricity. I completely agree with all the rational expressed here but my point is simply that they are not equal. That is all I was meaning to state. I'm not going to read all the previous posts either (I tried) and felt this was worthy of pointing out since it appeared to be a popular topic. No offense was intended.

Stupid new guy.

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4 DC
2013 Fun Finder F-266 KIRB
Reese Dual Cam HP / Prodigy P3
2 Black Labs - Lucy (Her) & Tosha (Him)

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Duganoz wrote:
Wow Beemer. Nice insult! Was that really necessary?

Wasn't meant to be insulting. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge. Some very smart people are ignorant on some subjects. I am ignorant on many subjects. I try to learn what I can to not be ignorant.

It still is puzzling when someone chooses to be ignorant by choosing not to learn (read).

PrivatePilot
Explorer
Explorer
Duganoz wrote:

Like it or not, he's right. Truth hurts sometimes.
30' Keystone Cougar 5'er, Triple Bunkhouse, SuperSlide.
Chevy 3500 1 Ton long box crew cab dually
6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4.11 Rears, LSD, Fresh rebuild spring 2012.
Dieselplace.com Staff Member

Our 2008 western adventure - to the coast and back!

Mark

Duganoz
Explorer
Explorer
Bruce & Nichole
09' F150
2012 Evergreen-Everlite 34BHK-DS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink
- or -
you can post tons of information but you can't make a person read it.

It puzzles me that people want to contribute to a conversation but state that they have no interest in knowing what has been discussed. I guess ignorance is preferred over education.

Reminds me of a bumper sticker; "If you think education is expensive, try ignorance".

MrRchitty
Explorer
Explorer
MrRchitty wrote:
Duganoz wrote:

Stupid new guy.

We are sensitive, over here.

Actually, go back and read. If you are new to the RV world and the electrical aspect and you want to know what to expect, this thread is very educational. It goes beyond the Champion inverter generator. Grab a cold Cola or your favorite beer. At best, you'll leave with some good information.
Randall J. Chittenden
CT
Fire/Medic
Former Auto Parts Sales 12 years

Duganoz
Explorer
Explorer
Ha ha! Not really!
Bruce & Nichole
09' F150
2012 Evergreen-Everlite 34BHK-DS