cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire mismatch

DunnInn
Explorer
Explorer
We’ve had this rv for about 7 years and just noticed that the front tires are different sizes. It’s a 41 foot Newmar Dutch Star. Drivers side tire is 275/70, passenger side is 275/80. All others are 275/70. This seems like it should be a problem. Any ideas?
5 REPLIES 5

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
naturist wrote:
I agree about replacing all due to age alone. On an undriven axle, only handling would be the performance issue. Put that mismatch on a driven axle and watch the differential explode in flames within 30 miles at highway speeds. Don’t ask how I know that.

Brake performance would also be effected. And if ABS brakes, it would likely throw a code.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I agree about replacing all due to age alone. On an undriven axle, only handling would be the performance issue. Put that mismatch on a driven axle and watch the differential explode in flames within 30 miles at highway speeds. Don’t ask how I know that.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
DunnInn wrote:
We’ve had this rv for about 7 years and just noticed that the front tires are different sizes.

This says it all-- the mismatched tires are at least 7 years old.

Replace with the proper size and load range per your GVWR plaque.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like the prior owner had a flat and put on a wrong size replacement.

For short term use it's ok to have an odd size tire. Short term is "Driving to tire store" but for long term use each axle should have same size and same age tires. (Or nearly same age) at least on every ride i've had

having different size tires on the front affects handling.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Don't you have a ID tag that gives you the tire size? What is the tire DOT date for each tire? At 7+ years it's time for new tires regardless of tread etc.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob