cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trojan 24tm

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
I run 2 12v batteries. I don't boondock unless forced to and that's not often.
It's time to replace batteries. I have a chance to get Trojan 24tm's for about $30 more each than the Sam's Club Duracell(Penn State) RV/Marine deep cycle. I know the Duracell state "starting amps" but are supposed to be deep cell.
There's only a 10amp hr reserve difference between the two and 2 lbs in weight.
Do you think it's worth the money to go to the Trojan's?
And NO I don't want nor need to go 6V.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand
7 REPLIES 7

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks SoundGuy...Which CTEK are you using? The MXS 5.0?
My dealer set me up with 2 batteries when we bought it. If I can get by with 1 that would be fine with me.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
I run 2 12v batteries. I don't boondock unless forced to and that's not often.
It's time to replace batteries.

My 10 yr old flooded Interstate G27 finally cried "uncle" last fall so I replaced it this spring with a DEKA G31 AGM - same battery as a Duracell, manufactured by East Penn. We too camp without shore power only if necessary and run just one battery so I chose the larger G31 size over a G24 or G27 for the increased capacity. I do use a stand alone CTEK charger as it does do a proper 14.4 volt bulk charge, the WFCO I simply turn off.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Will my WFCO converter charge an AGM battery. It works fine for my application now. Don't really want to change it till it dies.

It will charge it but won't do the boost charge needed for complete charge and could shorten the life. I would change it out for one of the ones that do like the 4655L Wildcat if it's the popular OEM 8955. We have one in our fleet and it does wonderful with AGM. If you have the surface mount, there are more options.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
If you don't dry camp, it makes no difference. You don't even need two batteries to camp on grid.
x2
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Will my WFCO converter charge an AGM battery. It works fine for my application now. Don't really want to change it till it dies.

Cydog15
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
In a very general way, more weight means more lead and more lead means a better deep cycle battery.

If you don't dry camp, it makes no difference. You don't even need two batteries to camp on grid.

Good point there on not needing 2 batteries. To the OP, yu must not mind battery maintenance and that's fine some like to fool with them. I just prefer AGM so I can sit and look at them whilst drinking a beer and not have to water them or mind them. You're on the right track with Trojan or Fullriver or most of them.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
In a very general way, more weight means more lead and more lead means a better deep cycle battery.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900