cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

trojan t-105

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know what the cycle life expetcancy of Trojans T-105 is?
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad
17 REPLIES 17

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
I had T125's on my TT for ten years when I sold it this past spring and they were still going strong. Partly due to adding a charge wizard to intellipower converter which changes it from a dumb to smart charger. Also making certain that the fluid level was up and also not discharging them past 50%. So when we bought another TT it was a no brainier to get another pair of T125's.
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Suspect cars are fitted with an EXPENSIVE recording kWh meter he car's batteries are equalized, fitted with the inductive device, positive and negative connected, padlock is double-checked and off it goes.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Battery life for us is more commonly measure in time, not usage. Kinda like tires.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Gale Hawkins wrote:
We replaced our Oct 2006 this year (2014) but if used on a golf course we would have had to replace in 2012. Six years is pushing the limits on this technology.

I don't have correct detail on this, but maybe somebody here can explain how they do it.

The golf car dealer where I got my used T-1275s was using a measurement in time the batts would last while driving around. Once the four batts (with 12v T-1275s) or 6 batts (using 8v batts) could not last that long, they swapped out all the car's batts and put new ones in. The golf car dealer and I gather golf courses, have some sort of meter measuring gizmo that simulates driving around so they can measure the time the golf car is good for.

ISTR the cut-off was 100 minutes minimum? My used ones were marked as 86 min. When I did my load test for AH it came out in the mid-80% of original AH rating, so the golf car method seems to get about the same % or else that 86 of 100 was a coincidence if the car when new gets way more than 100 ---I don't know how that all works. (I then "recovered" them to 90% and they are still good)

Anyway golf courses have their own way to know when to replace the batteries, and it is different from the way RVers decide that, where there is no exact cut off for an RVer where some will keep using a battery that has lost x in capacity, while others will toss it.

RVers do not all have the same fixed time like a golf car has to last for a game or two whatever it is those guys use to decide.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:
Thanks all. I have a man telling me that a Trojan engineer is saying the T-105 cycle life is rated at 1,500 cycles to 50% SOC.
I found it hard to believe.

Trojan chart shows the std T105 at 50%DOD having a cycle life of 1250 cycles. U.S. Batteries chart show 1100ish cycles. Other quality GC are probably similar.

The renewable energy version of the T105 shows 3000 cycles.

Now that's to 50% of initial capacity, maybe ok for a golf cart, but for us RV'rs, we'd probably be looking to replace them at 75% or so.

Still, I'd expect 300-500 cycles at 50% DOD as "useable" life, and with one pair, I'm nearing that range and they are still adequate.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If you think you're going to get a bunch more years than most any other deep cycle battery, forget it. The life of any DC battery will compare to the care, mostly charging, and the # and depth of cycles demanded of it.
No one (except a salesman) can tell you what the life expectancy of "your battery" will be.
I can tell you that "my" interstate 6'ers (made by US Battery at that time) were 8+ yrs old, and still performing good, ...as in (fair - good - like new)
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Like "Applications Engineer"

Fast and loose with "Engineer". I was referring to the real McCoy. Shirt pocket protector and all. Design engineer or production engineer, are the true backbone of the industry. All other "engineers" are book studied salesmen. They repeat rote. "Gee can you tell me something about antimony / calcium hybrid versus straight antimony alloy.

REAL ENGINEER: I don't like this because...

PLAY ENGINEER: Sorry Sir. Blurpee battery does not sell that kind of battery

Tell me something can you fax me the composition of the plate paste you use?

PLAY ENGINEER: I'm sorry sir, Blurpee battery does not reveal trade secrets

REAL ENGINEER: Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Gale_Hawkins
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced our Oct 2006 this year (2014) but if used on a golf course we would have had to replace in 2012. Six years is pushing the limits on this technology.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Trojan "Engineers" do not talk to mortals. Makes me wonder.

The person he talked to was James Cobb a thechnical support engineer.
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Trojan "Engineers" do not talk to mortals. Makes me wonder.

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
harold1946 wrote:
Been there, done that. Thanks, but it does not address expected cycle life.
You don't see any value in the chart shown on the linked page?

Thanks. It always helps to read the second page.
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
harold1946 wrote:
Been there, done that. Thanks, but it does not address expected cycle life.
You don't see any value in the chart shown on the linked page?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I have a man telling me that a Trojan engineer is saying the T-105 cycle life is rated at 1,500 cycles to 50% SOC.
I found it hard to believe.
Harold and Linda
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
T105's are rated for about 500+ cycles discharged to 30%SOC or so, and something like 750 cycles at 50% DOD

That assumes proper care and charging.

My experience is that I have a pair of T125, now 12 years old, that were passed on to our inlaws two years ago. SG is still very close to new, and they still hold a charge and appear to still be at least 80% of rated capacity. These batteries have 250+ discharge cycles on them to between 30%-50% SOC (50-80% DOD)

Let them get low on water or fully discharged a few times, and all bets are off. either will kill them rather quickly.

Trojan does have on the website a graph of expected cycle life vs. depth of discharge for the GC batteries.

And I emailed trojan to ask them what the defined as End of Life. it is when the capacity of a charged battery is 50% or less of the spec for a new battery after it has been fully charged and equalized.

If you want more cycles, the renewable energy line of GC batteries has double to quadruple the cycle life depending on how much your willing to pay. The longer cycle life batteries have slightly lower initial AH ratings for the same plates and slightly lower initial SG. No free lunch.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!