cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV not recognizing Firestick

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

Despite having our MH for a year now we don't really watch much TV so this never came up. I actually removed the TV in the bunk and I don't think I've ever turned on the outside TV. When we have turned on the bedroom TV it was only for a short time and we just scanned for OTA channels. There is only one cable coming into the TV and the green button on on the antenna plug seems to only activate the wifi booster. This past weekend  I decided to try our firestick. I plugged the firestick in the HDMI port on the TV and plugged it in to AC, changed tv input to HDMI and nothing. Tried all 3 HDMI ports. Likewise I hooked up the CG cable and changed the input to cable TV on the tv menu. Again, nothing. It seems the input is handled somewhere else in the RV but I have no idea where or how to get that to work. Why wouldn't plugging something directly into the TV  work? I'll call the dealer or FR this week, but was wondering if any of you have any ideas to try.  Thanks

2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS
11 REPLIES 11

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II

It sounds like a dead Firestick. I had one that was DOA like yours.

Did you try it on a different TV? Did it ever work?

BTW, the wall plate switch had nothing to do with HDMI

Yep, good firestick. I took it out of the house. The TV simply won't recognize any other input than the cable for OTA. Despite changing the input on the TV, it's just a blue screen. Even when I switch input to Cable whicle hooked up to CG cable, it scans and finds channels but wont let me actually change the channels. It's weird, it scans, says 100 channels found and then a blue screen. Maybe the TV itself is just garbage. It's the OEM Connexx brand which I have never heard of. I think it's a division of Furrion and my experience with their stuff has not been great. 

So either the TV is just bad, or I am just not understanding something with how the input is being changed. But if I take a good firestick and plug it into an HDMI directly on the TV, logic tells me that despite any switch somewhere else, it should still recognize it. 

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III

Thanks for the responses. Aside from the firestick, it will scan and find cable channels when hooked up to cable but when I try and change the channels, it only gives me a blue screen. It's like the TV is either stuck in demo mode, or it only allows the input from the one cable and I need to switch things from a switch box. Problem is, there is no switch box.

@way2roll wrote:

Thanks for the responses. Aside from the firestick, it will scan and find cable channels when hooked up to cable but when I try and change the channels, it only gives me a blue screen. It's like the TV is either stuck in demo mode, or it only allows the input from the one cable and I need to switch things from a switch box. Problem is, there is no switch box.

Maybe the switch they are referring to is the one in a cabinet that lets you switch from the: antenna, cable, or satellite.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Unlike the various RVs I've had in the past, this one does not have the ANT/Cable/Sat switch. There is no switch box, at least that I can find. 

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

If the firestick is HDCP compliant the TV has to be HDCP compatible. You would have to do some digging into both devices to find that out. Maybe finding someone with an older firestick and trying it out  would shed some light on the problem.

This probably isnโ€™t the problem though because it sounds like your devices are newer then when this HDCP standard was adopted but it is a possibility.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

I wonder if the Firestick needs to see that there are available WiFi connections before it displays on the screen. Maybe try turning on a hotspot on your phone and then try the the different HDMI ports.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

No way are you going to get it to work on that television. Does your motorhome have an amplifier for using the antenna? 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Why wouldn't it work on that TV? Whats the hdmi ports for?

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

There should be a selector in the TVโ€™s menu somewhere for the TV input. Selections, for instance, would be โ€œHDMI 1โ€, โ€œHDMI 2โ€, Antenna, etc. Are you selecting the proper input ?

Yes, I changed the input and tried all 3 HDMI ports. So weird, you would think plugging it directly into the TV would work. It's like the TV won't recognize the port. Pretty cheap OEM TV.