cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

underbelly sheeting - ideas on how to repair

splegge
Explorer
Explorer
Blew a tire and noticed that the protective plastic sheet that covers the underbelly in the wheel well was damaged (part torn and part melted. I also noticed another seem area going from underneath to into the side where this sheeting material has shredded. This protective material is like a woven plastic tarp.

Has anybody ever repaired this material? I was thinking using some sore of rubber spray sealer or apply/paint on the plastic sealer like you dip your tool handles into. the primary repair area is about 6 x 12"
2013 312bhds Freedom Express
2016 F350 Crewcab w/6.7
9 REPLIES 9

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
No. Coroplast is superior.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
Stefonius wrote:
It's also called "Coroplast" (for corrugated plastic). I know a sign shop that buys it in 4' x 8' sheets. It's available in two thicknesses, 4mm and 10mm.
Coroplast is great stuff, but it's not the same thing as darco, which is a fabric more or less similar to a typical plastic tarp from the local hardware store.

My luck with Gorilla tape has been great so far, but I could see where constant wind buffeting along with dust and dirt could do it in.

Ahh. My underbelly is Coroplast. I haven't seen the fabric stuff. Does it hold up better?
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Stefonius wrote:
It's also called "Coroplast" (for corrugated plastic). I know a sign shop that buys it in 4' x 8' sheets. It's available in two thicknesses, 4mm and 10mm.
Coroplast is great stuff, but it's not the same thing as darco, which is a fabric more or less similar to a typical plastic tarp from the local hardware store.

My luck with Gorilla tape has been great so far, but I could see where constant wind buffeting along with dust and dirt could do it in.
2015 Ram 1500

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
BillyW wrote:
I asked the shop manager at an RV dealership about that underbelly fabric. I think it's called Darco. He gave me about three feet of repair tape made specifically for it. Ultimately I used Eternabond and Gorilla tape for other repairs to the fabric down there. It's been 10 years now, and still holding strong.

Beware of the Gorilla tape in this situation. I used it for that and it seemed to stick great but after a few weeks I checked it and it had given up completely.

Stefonius
Explorer
Explorer
2003 F450 Crew Cab, 7.3 PSD "Truckasaurus"
2010 Coachmen North Ridge 322RLT fiver "Habitat for Insanity"
I love my tent, but the DW said, "RV or Divorce"...

path1
Explorer
Explorer
As a short term fix, that turned in to long term fix...

For that size (inches) find a some "plastacore" material at a sign shop or a political sign somewhere (as they don't remove them) and some black gorilla tape from home depot as temp fix.

Actual "darco" material from mobile home place or special order from RV place or online.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
BillyW wrote:
I asked the shop manager at an RV dealership about that underbelly fabric. I think it's called Darco. He gave me about three feet of repair tape made specifically for it. Ultimately I used Eternabond and Gorilla tape for other repairs to the fabric down there. It's been 10 years now, and still holding strong.

Some of the original tape came loose on one side and was hanging down about 6 inches. The new puppy discovered it and the next thing I knew he was running through the yard trailing 20 feet of tape. I re-taped it using Gorilla Tape and it worked pretty well. I cleaned the surface with rubbing alcohol before applying the tape. The next time I used the RV the gray water tank split open and they redid all the underbelly.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500

fourthclassC
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder about that material as I can see the backside behind the lower draws if I remove them and look back there. Sunlight shines through in mine in the corners. Not holes just confirms it is some type of plastic. You might want to make repairs with fiberglass resin and fabric, then paint with rubberized underbody coating as you mentioned. I'd be interested to hear what you finally ended up doing to repair that material/situation.