cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unused batteries discharging; is solar trickle the answer?

dave14117
Explorer
Explorer
Have two fifth wheels and since using them we've almost always been on shore power or generator, I think I've been delusional thinking the batteries in the rigs are working. They're unused for months at a time and I've noticed that when we are dry camping, the batteries are no-go. Thought it was just the WFCO converters, but maybe not -- can even deep cycle batteries survive so much time off power? Currently trying to get 3 year old Costco batteries working; they won't keep a charge even out of the RV after being on a car charger.

Question is whether a solar trickle charger is an answer. (No power where we store these rigs.)

Thanks
Thanks,

Dave
11 REPLIES 11

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Does a reasonably priced controller exist that not only maintains batteries at the correct voltage but weekly or bi-weekly give a surge of voltage for perhaps a half hour?

IF.....it really does "maintain them at the correct (float) voltage", what exactly makes you think that the other part is in any way necessary or beneficial ? Except maybe for trying to eek out a few extra months from batteries that are mostly worn out already.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

red31
Explorer
Explorer
many epsolar charge controllers can be programmed.
voltage set points 9-17v, top charge limited to every 30 days (0-180 mins).
One needs a cable and computer with downloaded software to program.
a 10A version of the landstar ls1024B can be had for <$20 from aliexpress or <$30 on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/EPsolar-LandStar-LS1024B-Battery-Controller/dp/B00N4QJETA

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Intermediate Question

Does a reasonably priced controller exist that not only maintains batteries at the correct voltage but weekly or bi-weekly give a surge of voltage for perhaps a half hour?

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes solar works great. Forget the tiny trickle panels. For the effort get 100 to 200 watts and a good controller.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My TT batteries are maintained with a small solar panel and controller from WindyNation when at rest and covered. This system is completely separate and hooked directly to my two T125 batteries. Works great!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Housted
Explorer III
Explorer III
We have a permanent site 5er in the mountains. A 50 watt solar panel works well to keep the two 12 volt batteries trickle charged. I have a battery disconnect so that there is nothing connected but the solar when we are not there. Has maintained the batts for over 2 years with little loss of water and they are fully charged when we arrive. I did tilt the panel for optimum exposure to the sun.

Housted
2019 Forrest River Forrester 3051S 2014 Honda CRV toad.
1000 W Solar, converted to 50 amp
400 Amps of LiFePO4,3000 Watt Inverter, Refer converted with JC refrigeration unit, Sofa replaced with 2 swivel chairs, over cab bed converted to TV mount and storage

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my TT at the back of my property and have 2 x 100W panels which keep the batteries fully charger when stored. I take the panels with me if I'm dry camping.

I also have a battery disconnect switch - batteries consistently stay at 12.9.
Gerry

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
All 3 of the previous answers are correct in their own right.
You just need to pick the one that best suits you.

And it looks like your present batteries are toast.

At a minimum you need new batteries and a multi-meter to test them and your converter.

P.S. If the battery disconnect switch is left in the OFF position, your 12 V stuff will work on shore power or gen but the batteries will never charge.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
You other choice it to take the batts home and keep them on a maintainer there. Solar is better, since you can also use it while camping if you get more solar than needed just for storage.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnecting your batteries works pretty well.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A decent solar battery float system not only will maintain float voltage but will goose the batteries occasionally with higher voltage to stir the electrolyte. Sizing at 3% per total amp hour capacity is plenty. Cheap and solar management are two incompatible words -- but it's worth every penny.