cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unusual tank sensor issues.

Josh-az270
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Attitude Toy hauler. JRV micro monitor. Twin 60 gallon fresh tanks. Fresh was full after 2 days tank reads 1/3. Then empty later in day. Still plenty water left. Connection hose clean and free of debris.
Wth?

Empty tanks at home and black reads 1/3 while empty. No biggie. So I pulled the leads on the 1/3 and 2/3 probes. Nothing touching and it reads 1/3. Wth. Ground 2/3 lead and its correct along with full lead.
Is it the monitor or maybe a skinned 1/3 wire grounding itself?
20 REPLIES 20

Josh-az270
Explorer
Explorer
BobsYourUncle wrote:
Welcome to the forum! :):)

You will find that the sensors are as inaccurate as the latest news on Facebook.

The very high percentage of people on the forum here report the same thing.

My sensors and panel are so inaccurate that I don't pay attention to it. I don't even push the button to check them.

I developed my own way of doing it:

My Black tank sensor: open the flush valve, look down the hole - if it is creeping up to the neck of the pipe, time to empty.

My Grey tank sensor: if I am ankle deep in grey water in the shower, time to empty.

My fresh water sensor: if my water pump is clicking fast and furious, I'm out of water, time to refill it.

After a while you get to know how long you can go with each tank.
My last TT had the fresh water tank under the jackknife sofa. That was easy, I modded the front panel so it would pull away and hinge down so I could just look through the tank and see the level.

I like you style, only issue is I'm always dry camping around 20-30 miles in on dirt. I'm dump the gray when needed but naww on the black. Lol worse part is the fresh tanks are black so I have no visual. Lol

Josh-az270
Explorer
Explorer
enblethen wrote:
Sounds like either a bad monitor or damaged cable. Disconnect or cut the wire at the monitor. Some are a plug in connector. Pulling it off will isolate problem to monitor or cable.
Previous poster is correct that the sensors themselves get dirty and will not indicate correctly. By disconnecting as you did proves that is not your problem.

The weird thing is i got the wires exposed back to where they turn into one.

Welcome to the forum! :):)

You will find that the sensors are as inaccurate as the latest news on Facebook.

The very high percentage of people on the forum here report the same thing.

My sensors and panel are so inaccurate that I don't pay attention to it. I don't even push the button to check them.

I developed my own way of doing it:

My Black tank sensor: open the flush valve, look down the hole - if it is creeping up to the neck of the pipe, time to empty.

My Grey tank sensor: if I am ankle deep in grey water in the shower, time to empty.

My fresh water sensor: if my water pump is clicking fast and furious, I'm out of water, time to refill it.

After a while you get to know how long you can go with each tank.
My last TT had the fresh water tank under the jackknife sofa. That was easy, I modded the front panel so it would pull away and hinge down so I could just look through the tank and see the level.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Sounds like either a bad monitor or damaged cable. Disconnect or cut the wire at the monitor. Some are a plug in connector. Pulling it off will isolate problem to monitor or cable.
Previous poster is correct that the sensors themselves get dirty and will not indicate correctly. By disconnecting as you did proves that is not your problem.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Fifteen year old TH? Youโ€™re lucky that any reading lights up. โ€œRealโ€ world.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Factory sensors never work. Quit worrying about them.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73