cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

UPDATED Dometic DuoTherm A/C Help

SWFL_FlyFisher
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer A/C: 2012 Dometic 13.5BTU roof mount(Penguin AC PW 410A), ducted with 3313192 LCD thermostat

Status: Plugged in to 30 amp service. When turned on, thermostat displays temp setting, no error codes but fan does not run and a humming sound can be heard (like binding motor).

History: Purchased trailer (used) in Jan, 2018. Tested A/C at time of purchase for operation/cooling and while loud, A/C blew cold. We are the third owners and past maintenance history is unknown.

Recent events: Two-week trip to two different FL state park campgrounds. First week/park we were plugged into 30amp service and used the A/C for 2-3 hours each afternoon when temps were in low/mid 90โ€™s. When turning system on in โ€œCoolโ€ mode, fan starts up immediately and then the compressor kicks on 10-15 seconds later. Turned system off each day when outside temps dropped into low 80โ€™s. No issues.

Second campground for week 2, again plugged into 30amp service: Turned A/C on and fan started as usual however the compressor did not come on and the thermostat flashed โ€œE5โ€. Thermostat booklet lists E5 as an โ€œOpen Circuitโ€ or โ€œOut of Range Freeze Sensorโ€ error code. Booklet also notes that with an E5 error, fan and furnace will function but cooling mode is locked out. All other electrical items in the trailer operated fine. Just in case we had bad 30amp service, I plugged into the 50amp recept. (using adapter) and tried the A/C again but received the same E5 code. Not knowing what else to try I reseated all wiring plugs on the inside of the roof unit and also removed and reseated the thermostat with no change. About an hour later I tried turning it on again and it operated normally with no E5 code. Chalked it up to gremlins and enjoyed the afternoon. Once it cooled down enough outside we turned the system off for the night.

Day 2: Afternoon temps into 90โ€™s, turned A/C on. Fan ran and E5 flashed, no compressor. Tried cycling on/off numerous times and E5 went away, A/C came on and trailer cooled down. Turned off for the evening as before.

Day 3 was more of the same: E5, cycle through off/on, wait an hour and try again and finally it would work.

Day 4 was a little different: Still had a few issues of E5, but then the code went away. Fan was running but the compressor still didnโ€™t kick on. After 30 seconds or so (maybe more, maybe less, I didnโ€™t actually time it) I bumped the thermostat temp down to 71 (we had been keeping it at 79) and the compressor finally kicked on and it started blowing cold. Not wanting to risk it shutting down, I left the temp low and let it run. After about 3 hours it suddenly turned off. When trying to get it going again I found that it had shut off because it had tripped the A/C branch circuit breaker. Turning everything back on got the fan running and an E5 code, with no cooling. Called it quits for the night.

Day 5: Wondered if maybe there might be an issue with the wiring at our campsite (since all of the issues were in the afternoon at peak times), I tried turning the system on in the morning while it was still cool out (low 70โ€™s). No E5. That afternoon I turned it on and got the dreaded E5 again. Repeated attempts throughout the afternoon brought nothing but sweat and irritation. That evening we decided to head for home the next morning. I was hoping that we might possibly just be victims of weak wiring at our campsite and that maybe the electric load of other campers during peak times might be the issue.

Day 6: Got home after a long drive and plugged into my dedicated 30amp RV circuit. Got things unpacked and figured Iโ€™d check the A/C. Turned it on and no E5. No fan either. Nothing but a hum like described at the beginning of this post. Itโ€™s been raining since we got back so I havenโ€™t had the opportunity to get on the roof and pull the cover to get the exact model number or do anything further. Figured Iโ€™d check in here to get some opinions/suggestions as to where to start.

So, any suggestions?

Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
SWFL FlyFisher wrote:
and hopefully the final update...

I have A/C!

Since everything on the roof looked good, all connections looked good, fan/motor spin freely, etc. I figured it couldn't hurt to do some exploring inside. So, I took the inside roof panel off and started exploring. The error code was for either and open circuit or an out of range freeze sensor so I focused on finding said sensor. Traced it back to the circuit board box and removed and cleaned the plug. Pressed it back into place, closed up the wiring and switched on the breaker. Et voila! Fan started with NO E5 CODE! About 15 seconds later the compressor kicked on and cold air started blowing.

It's been running for about two hours now, cycling off and on as it should. I'm going to leave it on all day to make sure that was the fix and not just a coincidence.

Still not sure why the error was intermittent, maybe it had to do with expansion/contraction during the day. I don't know. Anyway, the capacitor was bad, the A/C is now working and I have a new EMS on the way.

REPLACE THE FREEZE SENSOR! It will malfunction again. Doug

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Good on YOU! I don't believe in throwing parts at a problem, but a capacitor is so cheap compared to alternatives, it's sure worth trying. Even with a meter, a failing one may test good.
Your Freeze Sensor connection was probably Going - Going - Gone, intermittent running was the Going - Going. Then it got to Gone and system quit entirely.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

SWFL_FlyFisher
Explorer
Explorer
and hopefully the final update...

I have A/C!

Since everything on the roof looked good, all connections looked good, fan/motor spin freely, etc. I figured it couldn't hurt to do some exploring inside. So, I took the inside roof panel off and started exploring. The error code was for either and open circuit or an out of range freeze sensor so I focused on finding said sensor. Traced it back to the circuit board box and removed and cleaned the plug. Pressed it back into place, closed up the wiring and switched on the breaker. Et voila! Fan started with NO E5 CODE! About 15 seconds later the compressor kicked on and cold air started blowing.

It's been running for about two hours now, cycling off and on as it should. I'm going to leave it on all day to make sure that was the fix and not just a coincidence.

Still not sure why the error was intermittent, maybe it had to do with expansion/contraction during the day. I don't know. Anyway, the capacitor was bad, the A/C is now working and I have a new EMS on the way.

SWFL_FlyFisher
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE - 5/18/18

New capacitor arrived early so I was able to do the install this morning. Good and bad: Fan motor now starts and runs normally (so the cap was bad), but the "E5" error is again flashing. The trailer is plugged into my dedicated 30amp circuit and voltage is 120.4.

Next step is to start checking wire connections inside I guess.

Any suggestions welcome...

(Side note: my new EMS-PT30X is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow)

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I have good success using an autoformer which fixes low voltage rather than cutting off the power.

SWFL FlyFisher wrote:
Also starting my search for some sort of EMS to prevent this from happening again - Any suggestions?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
SWFL FlyFisher wrote:

After thinking it through some more...I pulled the housing and the capacitor. After discharging it, I found that while the compressor side would take a charge, the fan side would not. It also has a slight bulge in the bottom... Ordered a replacement which should be here Saturday, will update after that.
Also starting my search for some sort of EMS to prevent this from happening again

Good Thinking! Changing the CAP can be a good move, even if you don't suspect it. Compressor in our Coleman rooftop didn't sound right and seemed to be pulling excess Amps. Changed to a spare I carry, and it quieted and ran better. The one I pulled out tested OK on my Fluke DVOM with Capacitance.

Good on the EMS, too.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

SWFL_FlyFisher
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE

After thinking it through some more, I'm leaning more and more towards the idea that we had bad power/low voltage at the last campground, thus triggering the error code and eventually damaging the A/C unit.

This morning I pulled the housing and the capacitor. After discharging it, I found that while the compressor side would take a charge, the fan side would not. It also has a slight bulge in the bottom... Ordered a replacement which should be here Saturday, will update after that.

Also starting my search for some sort of EMS to prevent this from happening again - Any suggestions?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Get a kill-a-watt meter. Use it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SWFL_FlyFisher
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys. Provided it stays semi-dry, tomorrow is wire wiggle day (and pull apart and check everything).

I don't have an EMS (and didn't have a meter with me) so I can't tell you what the voltage was. I didn't have any issues with anything but the A/C though (including digital TV, tablet, phones, etc.). Some sort of electrical protection system is in our future to avoid more problems down the road, just looking to get the A/C problem handled first.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
How low was the voltage at the campground(s)?
Regards, Don

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
Take the filter cover off and look way up at the wires connecting to the circuit board. Make sure one isn't loose. I had the exact same symptoms and it was the fan wire loose. The compressor was coming on, but the fan wasn't spinning. Wiggled the wire and it worked. I had to wiggle the wire pretty much every time I got to a new site.
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed