cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Venting the attic space

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
I have my bathroom fan turned on to blow out some hot air. The square shroud has a dime sized crack in it that leads to the attic space.

For a second i thought darn, need to seal that so fiberglass and dust from the attic space doesnt go blowing into the trailer.

That led me to a mod im going to try. I have 3 roof vents. Im going to cut a 2-3" hole in both the front vent and the back vent. One will be an intake where either trailer temp air or exterior air is sucked into the ceiling. The other will be an exhaust that will go out of the roof vent.

I will put the fan on the exhaust side, so any leaks in the ceiling will have clean trailer air being sucked in. I know my AC ducts leak because i seal them with foil tape from time to time to try and keep attic dust out of the living space.

Whats your guess on attic temp? I will stick a thermometer up there and track how it changes over the next few days. Probably wont be drilling the hole until next month.

I know lost of people will be like....huh? Worst case is i have 2 holes in the white shroud. Can cover with white duct tape if the results are nothing.

Im hoping it ends up helping quite a bit. Air gaps are important for insulating. I wanted to spray some foam insulation up there in the roof. Thats a lot of money and time for possible mixed results.

The attic vent idea is almost free if you already have fans. I have a bunch but theyre in the fridge this time of year. Been really happy with Noctua. They were advised by landyacht if he still comes around. I have one in my fridge vent space that is filthy!!! Coated in a thick layer of dust. Dirtiest fan ive ever dun seen. Still runs strong and sounds good. Must be out of balance but the nice fans use a bearing to combat that.

If you have something like a MaxAir fan. You could cut a hole in your plastic shroud and then block the square opening with one of those foam inserts to block the heat. That would make the MaxAir pull from the attic space and blow it out the roof. Of course you would need to cut an intake hole in a different vent. Or pull out a rooftop speaker. Lots of options. Nice part about using the roof vent is you can choose trailer air temp or exterior air temp just by opening or closing the top. Often my trailer is hotter than the outside air.

I do understand lots of hot air will get trapped in spots. Still excited to see the results.
7 REPLIES 7

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah i wonder how that works for the trailers with the mushroom vents. They either have a dedicated intake? Or they know all the ceiling lights and roof vents and AC units wont seal 100% and allow interior trailer air to enter the attic as hot air rises out.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Attic fans or Attic vents ONLY WORK when you have a outside fresh air intake. House or RV makes no difference. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our NUWA 5vr has 3 attic vents....
One forward center
One mid ship center
One rearward center.

Helps move heat from attic/roof rafter space in hot weather
Helps remove moisture/condensation in cold weather
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Our Montana 5er had 2 attic vents (large mushroom caps) on the roof.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know any RV had an attic.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you this extensive post on ventilation issues and options.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Simply putting several plumbing vents on the roof will let the heat dissipate.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD