cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

water at base of toilet - temp fix good idea or bad?

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
There is a little bit of water at base of toilet, with all indications being failing flange seal. I tightened the mounting bolts a bit, but still leaks ... some. I am traveling and unless I pay to have this fixed by mobile RV guy$$ somewhere, my intention is to put a small seam of DAP Kwik Seal Ultra around the bottom and let it cure overnight.

So am I going to regret this? Will this cause the floor to rot out? I won't get home until November something.

Caulk or not to caulk, that is the question?
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First.. make sure it's water and not...er.. used water.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
Hate to post this old post, but the way this resolved was when I ate a bunch of jalapeno nachos with even more beer, and the resultant 'release' sealed the gasket. At least that is my theory. I am at home today, and will check it out, but seems fine.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did a few temporary fixes on one once upon a time, but the problem is that gas will go through as well. If you price toilets, they aren't that much. Maybe it's the seal, but I think more likely it's got a crack.

If I was you, I'd buy a new toilet. The work to replace/repair is close to the same. You also can potentially get a more appropriate height since toilets come in different heights.

Oh, and flush the black tank with fresh water before removing the toilet. Doing that will keep the odor down.

Good luck.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Could just wrap a towel (old one you don't mind chucking) around the base and hang it out to dry once in a while. That's what I did but I was only out for a few days.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
Cant say that I am happy posting. You guys are supposed to tell me everything is OK, caulk away, yay!!

So I will get this fixed ASAP. It is only a very small amount of water sheen at the base of the toilet, but as has been noted, maybe more is going somewhere unknown.

Thanks for the info!

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
It may be the nylon water control valve rather than the flange - feel around the water supply hose for wetnessโ€ฆEither way, the toilet will need to be removed

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yep, caulking will just trap the water and cause rot quicker.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, you will probably regret it.

All that will do is force the water into the floor.

A RV toilet flange seal is less than $10. And it's only two nuts holding it down. And you have already confirmed that you can reach the two nuts.

The only other question is if you can do the replacement without un-hooking the water line.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
OP...bad idea! You will cause more damage by letting this go. A mobile repair will be $, and to repair later will be $$$.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
caulking will just cause the floor to rot out. you really need to get it fixed.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you put caulking around the base, it will only direct the water somewhere else. Most likely down into you basement, if it isnโ€™t already going there.
I would vote to have the problem fixed the right way. Then while the toilet is off the mount you can better asses any water damage if any.

Let us know how it works out.