Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
13 REPLIES 13

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
IS THAT WHY
I can throw a blanket over a 15 amp electric 120vac heater and not have it catch fire?

Yet wrap a 120 amp cable from an alternator and have it instantly ignite?

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Alternator running at double the voltage, same power in watts, has half the current flowing through it. Half the current leads to one-fourth heat produced by loss due to resistance in the internal coils. It's probably not that simplistic because the coil resistance would change, but even if it doubled, the heat generated would still be cut in half.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
When doing power upgrades for performance cruisers (retired racing sloops), I have installed more than a few Balmar alternators with ratings like 200+ amps at 12V. These are still fan cooled units.

Higher system voltage will make little difference. Electric machines are all about Watts.

Many years ago, I had to do a repair on a GM diesel buss engine that was leaking oil from the alternator. Yes, it was an oil cooled alternator. That was no stranger than the temperature controlled oil coupling for the cooling fan.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
The sooner we switch to higher voltage systems the better.

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
Must be bad air flow if the alternator requires water cooling !
It's for an Audi and they like to make things complicated just for the sake of it. I have one with a liquid cooled alternator and it doesn't look airflow restricted at all. Perhaps it's to get the cooling fan off the alternator to get a 0.01 mpg increase. Other examples of complication are my battery is under the driver seat, and the battery management module has to be reset with a proprietary scan tool when replacing the battery.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Common for stators to run at 320ยฐF and rectifiers at 280ยฐF
Oil cooled alternators run at 210ยฐF constantly. Keep an alternator cool and it will not lose 20% of its potential.
This one could run constantly at full output.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Engine coolant temps can reach 250F these days (anti-freeze raise the boiling point; so does pressure in the cooling system).

Must be bad air flow if the alternator requires water cooling !

Hurricaner
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Where does an RV get chilled water?
Normal engine coolant is all it needs.

Sam
Sam & Kari
Hurricane, Utah

2019 Winnebago Sightseer 33C

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Why ?

^Im with this guy.
Whatโ€™s the point? An A8 is a mid engine sports car that for some reason needs not only a high power alternator but it needs to be water cooled.

There is a wheel here that doesnโ€™t need re-invented for RVs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Why ?

Itโ€™s for cooling the alternator. The OEM vehicle must place a high load and have the alternator in a location that air cooling is not sufficient.

Heat is the enemy of the lowly alternator.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Why ?

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Foresty Forest on YouTube uses a high output alternator, Dc-Dc charging, Li battery tp power the house loads in his van.

No solar omg.