cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Heater...6 gallon or 10 gallon?

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
I’m rebuilding an old travel trailer and need a new water heater. Assuming I could make either fit, would you prefer a 10gallon or should I stick with the 6 gallon?

Thanks!
Bob E.
16 REPLIES 16

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the opinions. I tried to respond a couple days ago but got denied by the stupid captcha thing. Anyways, I'm leaning towards 10 gal We almost always camp with hookups, especially when going more than a weekend. And I'm not against using the campground facilities when necessary. I've got 2 daughters (11 and 13yo) and my wife, so we use a lot of water. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing some downside that may cause me to want a 6 gal.

Thanks again everyone!
Bob

Acampingwewillg
Explorer II
Explorer II
For two people, our 6 gal has always worked but even then, I space out our showers. With a larger group, 10 gallon would be welcome but I'm guessing your still be spacing the showers out!
96 Vogue Prima Vista
The Kid's: Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer and Georgie,wire haired dachshund.
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie,Scoutie,Katie,Cooper,Kodie,Rubie,Maggie, Cassie, Mollie, Elvis, Potter and Rosie Love You! (40+ years in all)

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We are a family of 2 adults and 3 six yr olds. Our 6 gal Atwood propane electric is just inadequate. I can get a max of 6 to 9 min hot water out of ours. So we have to space our showers apart. I thinking of changing it out to a Truma AquaGo tankless unit.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on your water needs and how much you're concerned about wasting energy or propane. Unused hot water becomes lukewarm in one hour = energy wasted.

For one person 6 gal is plenty. I usually have some hot water left in the end even when I do it slow, so - should be enough for 2 people with some self-discipline.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I agree on the no mixing valve. Way too much trouble with them in every application they are used in.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

10 gallon electric/propane with no mixing valve. Since I'm in a class C I'd love to have the "engine heating" option as well.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Suburban Water Heater Specs

Atwood Water Heater Info

I would go with 10 gal Minimum.

I would NOT have an Atwood EXT Model....Mixing Valve....they clog up from scale/calcium and can be a PITA
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We always did just fine with a 6 gallon in our last RV even when my DW and I took showers one after another but the new one has a 10 and it's a nice upgrade. Given a choice, I would go ten.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I do just fine with a 6 gallon water heater. We even did a three person test once, with the next person getting in while the previous person was drying off. I went last, and I let the shower run for another 2 or 3 minutes beyond what I actually needed before it started to get too cool.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well. Not to help but there is a 3rd choice.. Unlimited Hot Water or virtually unlimited (On Demand)

You actually have 4 choices
6, 10 10 in a 6 gallon hat and Demand

IF you plan to heat water with electric I would choose a 10 Longer shower that way

The 10 in a six gallon hat uses a mixing valve. .this is a "Complex" device and I believe in KISS (Keep it super simple)

If you plan to heat water ONLY with Propane.. Go Tankless (On demand) for showers limited only by the size of your tanks
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are only the two of us, and a 6 gallon is plenty for us, but I would definitely want a gas/electric rather than just a gas model. The 6 gallon will heat faster than the 10 gallon when you first turn it on. When not showering, we only use the electric element. Before showering, we turn on both elements for faster reheating. Even taking back to back showers, the 6 gallon with both heaters on has never run short of hot water.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 10, now a 6. If possible go with the 10, gas/electric. Even one of the new models that heats the water hotter and uses the mixing valve if you could. I like a good shower when we have FHU. However, I won't go with a tankless as we do camp w/o hookups too and they cause too much water use.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Next question is will you be connected to sewer? If not, how often will you dump. A long shower is priceless until your gray is full and you have to break camp, dump, and return.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
10. Cost difference is nothing. Having ample hot water is priceless.