cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water heater only producing warn water, 90F

Crackerssouth
Explorer
Explorer
I have been RV'ing for 20 years and never thought I could make such a dumb mistake. Hot water tank was leaking at the back where the water outlets are on our 3250 Big country. Turned off the power inside, tightened the connections and stopped the leak. Did a quick pressure test with the outside shower, good to go. Not quite, only had warm water, not hot like before. Tested the element , good. Tested both thermostats and they were good. After much time on the Internet and You Tube, YT have a video titled "don't make this newbie mistake". That was me. Turns out I had left the outdoor shower taps both open, therefor the shower had now become a mixing valve. Closed both taps, water temp suddenly went to 130F.... I noticed a lot of posts about not hot enough water. Maybe someone turned on the outside shower for some reson and never turn the taps off. This would be something to check on your rig
Experience is the result of too many mistakes

2008 F350 6.4L 4x4
2011 Heartland Big Country
8 REPLIES 8

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have noticed that if DH shuts the inside shower off with the hand control instead of the on/off knobs, I can only get warm water in the kitchen. Of course I'm usually trying to do dishes and warm just will not do. Takes a minute sometimes to remember to check that.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
We all have to do that one at least once!
When it happened to us, I figured it out between her shower (cold) and mine (hot). :B

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. I do not doubt this happens
2. I have been and still am a RV Technician for 37 years and have NEVER seen this or had a customer with this problem
3. What I find amazing is, almost ALL Inside and outside RV shower Heads that have a water cut-off, they are NOT positive cut offs. They will drip. They make them this way because those white hoses are NOT designed to have continuous 45 plus PSI on them.
4. So, if you leave the outside faucets ON and obviously the shower head cut off is shut off, then you would think you would notice that the area by the Outside Faucet has a water build up after a few hours or a few days, either filling up the water bay or dripping on the ground. Doug

Kit_Carson
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the heads up. I never thought of that.
KIT CARSON
GOOD SAM LIFE MEMBER
USAF VETERAN
ARS: KE5VLE
NORTHWEST LOUISIANA

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Feel proud.. YOU figured it out without asking.. Not all are that lucky.

I've not done that (yet) But I have helped a few who did.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

WILDEBILL308
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is one outher way to have the same problem. I had a drain plug leak on the hot water heater. so I closed the winter bypass valve so I could have water on in the coach while I worked on the leak. Well when I moved the valve back to the regular position the handle slipped on the valve stem and did not fully close the valve. This produced just slightly luke warm water at best.
Bill
2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Yup! I think that's happened to all of us at one time or another!

Our Springdale had an outside shower, and the first trip out water was luke warm only. It was Friday night and my dealer was closed. I was crying thinking something was broken with the camper.

Next morning (Saturday) I called the service department. The guy kind of chuckled a little and told me everything was OK. Just check the outside shower. He almost guaranteed me that's where the problem was. I did while he was still on the phone, and sure enough! Bingo!

Truly, everyone has experienced this! And the first time it happens to the "uninformed" it's mind boggling! And so relieving when the fix is so simple!
DUH!

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, it's a fairly common oversight that caused warm water issues. The inside shower will do the same thing if either the dribble is not noticed or a positive shutoff valve has been installed. Another common warm water error is incorrect bypass valve settings.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate