Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump not pumping water

norrisboat
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone,

I replaced my old water pump because it leaked for my pop up camper. After replacing the old with a new one, the new one would not pump water when I turn it on. It spits out water out of the faucet and the water heater gurgles. Sounds like the water heater is blowing bubbles. I have valves to bypass the water heater and that doesn't create a different result. I thought I might have gotten a bad water pump so I ordered another new one and replaced it with the 2nd new one. 2nd new pump had same result.

I have no water leaks anywhere in the line that I can find.

My original pump was a Shurflo 2088-422-144(12VDC 7 Amps Max) and the new one is 1088-554-144(12VDC 5 AMPS Max)

Any ideas what to do to get it to pump water? Thank you.
DFR fo' Life
15 REPLIES 15

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have a winterizing valve to suck antifreeze into system? Is it in the use position so as to draw water from fresh water tank?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Do the bucket test, that will prove pump is fine and air leak is towards tank. Do you have pex to flex near pump?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
norrisboat wrote:

If I was sucking air, wouldn't water come out of the leak? If there is a leak, wouldn't it be before the water pump? Yes The hose likely drained when you replaced the pump and hence may not leak. With a vacuum leak it can't prime and sucks air.
- -
You would think that but a line or fitting can be water tight without being air tight.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
norrisboat wrote:
If I was sucking air, wouldn't water come out of the leak? If there is a leak, wouldn't it be before the water pump? Yes The hose likely drained when you replaced the pump and hence may not leak. With a vacuum leak it can't prime and sucks air.

Isn't the water tank non-pressurized at all times? Not sure and just wanted to confirm. Yes

Again connect a new hose into a bucket of water. This is to help verify it's not a pump problem. Or remove the pump and bench check it.

You can also plug the overfill, pressurize the tank with compressed air and look for leaks but this is likely more involved.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Prime the pump.

norrisboat
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Are the inlet and outlet hoses reversed?

Plug the winterizing bypass hose that sucks antifreeze into the pump.

Disconnect the outlet from the pump and turn the pump on to see if water comes out.

I tried reversing the outlet and inlet. When I reverse them I get absolutely no water. If they are the correct way I get spitting water.

If I disconnect the outlet and turn on the pump I get nothing coming out when its in the correct configuration.

I have also reversed the wires to see if it produces a different result. No difference seen. Someone mentioned above that since its a diaphragm the wiring won't make a difference. Makes sense to me but I reversed the wires anyway with non difference in result.

Thanks for the help.
DFR fo' Life

norrisboat
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
Let's start with why you replaced the first pump. What was it doing? The same thing? Then you have a vacuum leak....you are sucking air somewhere like CAtraveler says.

I replaced the pump because the original had a leak(gasket). Instead of getting a rebuild kit for it, i decided to get a new one.

If I was sucking air, wouldn't water come out of the leak? If there is a leak, wouldn't it be before the water pump?

Isn't the water tank non-pressurized at all times? Not sure and just wanted to confirm.
DFR fo' Life

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
assuming you have water in the tank the pump may be sucking air.
But it does take a while to clear the lines of the air in them after draining.

Assuming you have given that time I'd check the inlet strainer on the pump. then inspect lines and and valves before the pump.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Are the inlet and outlet hoses reversed?

Plug the winterizing bypass hose that sucks antifreeze into the pump.

Disconnect the outlet from the pump and turn the pump on to see if water comes out.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Yup, as they said, air is getting into the system from somewhere.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let's start with why you replaced the first pump. What was it doing? The same thing? Then you have a vacuum leak....you are sucking air somewhere like CAtraveler says.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
enblethen wrote:
Reversed wiring?

That model is a diaphragm pump so reverse polarity would not effect the operation.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Reversed wiring?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried to prime the pump?
how to
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand