cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

We have a toilet issue......

LRBill
Explorer
Explorer
We keep a bit of water in the toilet at all times to keep the seal wet but during this last drought spell it dried up and now doesn't hold water in the bowl.
I have washed the seal thoroughly and put a rag down on it and kept it wet for a few hours but no dice.
What do I have to do to get it to seal again? Does the seal need to be replaced? That looks like it would be a real pain...

Any intel on this would really be appreciated!

Bill
21 REPLIES 21

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Exploded Parts List with internal Links to Manual, Videos etc

Bowel and base have to be separated in order to replace bowel seal...bolts are accessed via cutout on back of bowel.
If you have enough room between back wall and bowel---otherwise toilet has to be removed which would require a new floor flange gasket

Check the ball valve for cracks, chips, gouges which will allow water to leak from bowel

Good luck!

Was "bowel" an intentional pun?
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

LRBill
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the link. Parts are ordered and will takce care of it this week.

Thanks all for the help!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Exploded Parts List with internal Links to Manual, Videos etc

Bowel and base have to be separated in order to replace bowel seal...bolts are accessed via cutout on back of bowel.
If you have enough room between back wall and bowel---otherwise toilet has to be removed which would require a new floor flange gasket

Check the ball valve for cracks, chips, gouges which will allow water to leak from bowel

Good luck!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

LRBill
Explorer
Explorer
Well, the olive oil did not do the trick. Must have a small crack in the seal.

The toilet is a Thetford Aqua-Magic II . Ceramic bowl. I'll have to look into a new seal I'm guessing....

Thanks for your thoughts!!

Bill

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Dusty R wrote:
We bought a new Mallard mh in '88. Bought a new Itasca in 2001. And another new Itasca in 2015.
Never had a problem with the toilets in the Mallard or the 2001 Itasca, but in the 2015 Itasca both the seal and the fresh water valve in the toilet have gone bad, and they are not replaceable. It's a Thetford.
I'm trying to find a new one. Because toilets come in different size configurations I went to a local RV Dealer. And was told that because of the Covid 19 they could not get net RV toilets for maybe a year. So I did some online shopping and ordered a Dometic, it came yesterday, and will not fit.
The detailed dimensions are in the instructions. If the dimensions had been in with the sales information I would have not ordered that model.
Not sure what we are going to do. Nowhere can I find dimensions published in any sales information.

Dusty

I looked up the Dometic 310 and the installation manual is available online with all the dimensions.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a new Mallard mh in '88. Bought a new Itasca in 2001. And another new Itasca in 2015.
Never had a problem with the toilets in the Mallard or the 2001 Itasca, but in the 2015 Itasca both the seal and the fresh water valve in the toilet have gone bad, and they are not replaceable. It's a Thetford.
I'm trying to find a new one. Because toilets come in different size configurations I went to a local RV Dealer. And was told that because of the Covid 19 they could not get net RV toilets for maybe a year. So I did some online shopping and ordered a Dometic, it came yesterday, and will not fit.
The detailed dimensions are in the instructions. If the dimensions had been in with the sales information I would have not ordered that model.
Not sure what we are going to do. Nowhere can I find dimensions published in any sales information.

Dusty

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
5 years fulltiming using vaseline on a Dometic 320, ZERO issues.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
Toilet bowl seal lube

Used this once to rejuvenate a seal. Worked perfectly. I use it when unit is sitting. No more problems.

X2. I've used this a couple of times with really good results. I keep a container of in on hand for occasional use when the RV is going to be sitting for a few days or when the leaking problem reoccurs. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Toilet bowl seal lube

Used this once to rejuvenate a seal. Worked perfectly. I use it when unit is sitting. No more problems.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
MNRon wrote:
Vaseline is petroleum based, I would not put that on rubber gaskets.

I agree with Old-Biscuit, but Iโ€™ve used vegetable oil to rejuvenate a seal that leaked. Additionally I recommend putting an inch of vegetable oil in the toilet to keep the seal in good condition if you store for a while. It will keep the seal lubricated, and it wonโ€™t evaporate.

The seals are not rubber, they are neoprene, and vasoline or any other petroleum base will not hurt them !
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
MNRon wrote:
Vaseline is petroleum based, I would not put that on rubber gaskets.

I agree with Old-Biscuit, but Iโ€™ve used vegetable oil to rejuvenate a seal that leaked. Additionally I recommend putting an inch of vegetable oil in the toilet to keep the seal in good condition if you store for a while. It will keep the seal lubricated, and it wonโ€™t evaporate.

I use Olive Oil when RV not in use
Doesn't turn rancid like some vegetable oils can

As for changing seal......really depends on Brand/Model of toilet
Some you have to remove toilet, separate base/bowel to change
So REALLY depends on WHICH Toilet.

That is why......1st step is thorough cleaning and lubing which many times is all that is needed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
replace the seal. It's easy. Amazon is your friend.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
replace the seal. It's easy.Amazon is your friend.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with MNRon. Petroleum based products dissolve rubber. Use a non-petroleum product like vegetable oil or silicone grease. The vegetable oil film on top in the toilet is a wonderful suggestion for long term storage. (I need to go out and check mine.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB