cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Webber Q 100

boubou64
Explorer
Explorer
Switched from the green propane canisters to the proper hose for the Webber to use on a 5lbs propane tank. No extra changes were done. I light it, it works but the flame is blue and very low, just stays close to the burner. After a few minutes, it gets normal.
I've done this a few times, tried cleaning the burner, it's clean and still does the same. No problem with the green canisters.
What am I doing wrong?
http://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi
Superglide 2700
Timbrens
13 REPLIES 13

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
I believe those of you trying to use the grill off of your trailer are using a LOW pressure line that is not compatible with any grill with a built-in regulator. It must be hooked into a HIGH-pressure line before the tanks regulator to work correctly. There are ways to convert grills to work on LOW-pressure. Search the sire for how to do. Good Luck! Chino.

phays
Explorer
Explorer
Try this
connect larger tank to weber q

I made this change and no longer have a problem using a larger tank. I also purchased an adapter that fits the connector that goes to the tank that converts it to the small one pound bottles so I can use the smaller bottles in an emergency or when I don't want to pack a larger bottle along.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
While the OP's issue seems to have been resolved other Q100 / Q120 owners should be aware that for a time the regulator used on this Q series of Weber grills failed at an alarming rate, displaying the same symptoms the OP described. I replaced the regulator on my own Q100 twice under warranty, again on my current Q120 also under warranty, even recently replaced the regulator on my Q220 twice now even though it's a different model regulator. I suspect these regulators were all manufactured in the same Chinese factory and all (for a time) suffered the same failure rate.

Any Weber owner should also note that the tank > grill adapter hose sold by Weber has a noticeably larger opening on the 1"-20 threaded fitting that screws into the grill's regulator than do third party hoses that otherwise "look" the same ... so if gas flow is an issue with your Weber that too could also be a reason.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ADAD437 wrote:
when mine does that i turn it off. turn the tank upside down, wait a few seconds turn the valve back on slowly.

What does turning the tank upside down do?

ADAD437
Explorer
Explorer
when mine does that i turn it off. turn the tank upside down, wait a few seconds turn the valve back on slowly.

James,Gail & Pancho
2005 georgie boy Pursuit

๐Ÿ˜›

boubou64
Explorer
Explorer
Forgot all about this. Seems like I need to review before going camping. Took nearly an hour to cook pork chops! lol
Now I remember, turn tank very slowly. IF that doesn't work, disconnect, let propane run out from the line in the bbq and reconnect. Works!!
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram 1500 HEMI with integrated brake controller, tow mirrors and Michelins LTX/AT2 275/65R20 max load: 3750 lbs. @ 80 psi
Superglide 2700
Timbrens

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
Run mine off a 20lbs cylinder all the time without issue. Certainly sounds like the safety check valve has turned on.

Try another tank, even a 20/30lb and see if it repeats.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

boubou64
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know. At first, I was hoping to run the grill directly from the 5th wheel where the hose runs in the back for a grill that came with the 5th wheel but after reading posts on low pressure and having to take the regulator out, I opted to keep it simple (I guess simple would be to keep using the green canisters) and get a 5 lbs propane tank and the hose that can be used on the webber.
Going to try these ideas now.
Thanks, I'll report back with results
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
Superglide 2700
Timbrens

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if it's because the hose dia. is too small? We've had that problem with our Coleman Roadtrip grill which we run directly off the low pressure line under our TT (removed regulator at the grill) when we had a 20' 1/4" hose. I changed out the hose for a 3/8" hose of the same length and it works better.

I used to notice that when I first started the grill with 2 burners running at full heat, the flame was blue and strong. Then the flames gradually slowed and turned yellow on the tips. I'm no expert on propane but I'm guessing that the 1/4" hose was charged to the full low pressure level at first, then couldn't keep delivering that pressure at max. flow to the grill.

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Actually, the excessive flow device is located in the Acme fitting/Hose assembly and not the tank.

ericosmith
Explorer
Explorer
I just open the valve on mine when I get to the campground and close it a couple of minutes before the last meal is done. As long as you open it a half hour or so before cooking there should be no problem. There's usually enough propane in the hose after closing the valve to burn for a bit.

boubou64
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much
I will try this tomorrow :)))
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
Superglide 2700
Timbrens

StevenH
Explorer
Explorer
The safety "flow" check valve in the propane tank has tripped.

Open the valve on the propane tank very slowly. This usually prevents the safety valve from tripping.

When mine does this I turn off the grill close the propane tank then reopen it slowly and relight the grill usually works every time.

If that doesn't work turn off grill close propane tank valve disconnet hose from tank. Turn on grill but do not light let the propane bleed off. Close grill valve reconnect hose, open tank valve slowly, open grill valve and light. Should work.

Steve
97 Beaver Patriot 40'
3126 CAT, Allison 3060
Aqua Hot