cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What could be the issue?

Nathandeal1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 14 fleetwood tioga montera 25k. When I’m park the generator works great but when i drive it automatically trips the buss fuse by the battery and shuts the generator off. I have replaced the buss fuse several times. It will start without it, my question is, what can the issue be? Is there even supposed to be a buss fuse to begin with? Is it a fire hazard to remove it? It only trips when i start driving.
14 REPLIES 14

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Like button ^
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
1. The Genset itself is NOT the problem
2. The Genset has NO charging capability. THAT is done thru the Power Converter or Inverter/Charger which ever you have.
3. I would suspect the Battery Positive cable between the fuse and the connection at the genset is melted/crimped/shorted. OR routed close to the Genset exhaust OR Engine Exhaust(I pick the Engine exhaust). That is why the fuse is blowing after running and the Geset and Engine exhaust gets HOT. Good thing the OEM installed the that fuse or you would have a good fire on a shorted 12 volt Positive cable. Doug

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably near the house battery compartment.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That doesn't make sense! Blowing a 100-amp fuse type load could burn out your whole electrical system.
It must be an electrical battery wiring problem. I would locate and careful inspect the Aux start relay circuit. It normally is same circuit as battery charge circuit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
That doesn't make sense! Blowing a 100-amp fuse type load could burn out your whole electrical system.
It must be an electrical battery wiring problem. I would locate and careful inspect the Aux start relay circuit.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

Nathandeal1
Explorer
Explorer
@ Jim - That’s a good possibility. It does charge the batteries when driving. So it may be a back feed/over charging issue that is causing the fuse issue. I have no idea to confirm this. Where would a switch be?

Nathandeal1
Explorer
Explorer
@ envlethen - It is fine when the truck isn’t running. But when the truck engine is on, that’s when it blows the fuse.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is the 100-amp fuse in the cable feeding the genset?
Is it connected to the positive post on the battery?
What do you mean by it is fine when genset is going, then blows when it is on?
If genset is running, there should very little 12-volts DC on this cable.
Only possibility is vibration from genset is causing cable to be grounded out.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd try unplugging the battery charger if there is a plug for it, or add a disconnect so that AC charger won't charge the battery.

If there are separate batteries for the house/vehicle, you should add a switch or switch it so that the house battery is independent/not charging the vehicle battery. The switch is what a lot of RVs have.

I believe what's happening is that both the car and generator are charging your batteries and you are getting feedback, but that's just a guess.

Fwiw, I blew out a circuit on a Onan generator by starting it while plugged into shore power. So, be careful with your trouble shooting.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Nathandeal1
Explorer
Explorer
This is a class c motorhome. The batteries for the home part (rv portion) is under the step. Under the step there’s two wire that are for the generator. There’s a 100amp buss amg fuse. It’s totally fine when the engine is off and the generator is going. But when turned on, the fuse is tripped from anywhere from 10 minutes to three hours (three hours being the longest, usually it’s within 5-10 minutes)

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Go to the 12-volt coach power distribution panel and use a voltmeter to check polarity.
I am guessing your two different system batteries are located under the hood. Verify that negative is connected to ground and positive goes to the 12-volt coach power distribution panel.
Not sure what type of battery isolation system you have. It could be a diode based or a relay based.
Clarify what you mean about generator works but when I drive it trips the buss fuse?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
As a guess only I say the motor RV generator is causing an overload charge to the battery and electrical system when driving causing the buss fuse or breaker to trip. When in park not as much voltage output from car/truck/RV generator to trip the buss.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Nathandeal1
Explorer
Explorer
I actually did when i bought it from the dealership as the previous batteries were no good. (Dealer replaced as part of the sale) is there a cable or a way to double check that?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you had any battery work done? Sounds like the chassis and coach system have reversed polarity!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow