cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What size of inverter would you suggest if I only want to run the refrigerator and a TV?

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad

What size of inverter (DC to 120) would you suggest if I only want to run a mini outdoor refrigerator and a TV?

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
5 REPLIES 5

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Be sure to measure the demand on the fridge in watts. See if they list the surge value.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II

Hi TenOC,

500 watts pure sine wave. Don't forget some inverters advertise their surge wattage not the continuous wattage. Seasons Greetings to you.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

YC_1
Nomad
Nomad

I agree with a 200o watt one. The smaller ones seem to be much less robust. I have experimented with several in my F150. The factory 400 Watt one is just about useless. It is amazing how well it is designed and installed but far too weak to power most of my stuff and it is not a pure sine wave one.

You need to install it as close to your batteries as possible. Installing it in an adjacent area clear of the battery air flow would be best for safety. A battery monitor is a really useful tool. I have two blue tooth devices, one for my F150 and one for my lawn tractor. I can check their status in seconds. You don't want to hammer a lead acid battery by running it down too far and too many times, even if they are deep cycle. A 2000 watt inverter won't work as hard as a 800 watt inverter basically and so should provide a much better margin of operation.

H/R Endeavor 2008
Ford F150 toad >Full Timers
Certified Senior Electronic Technician, Telecommunications Engineer, Telecommunications repair Service Center Owner, Original owner HR 2008

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II

What type and size of battery do you have?

Add up the peak continuous wattage of the refrigerator and TV, add some extra (maybe 25%) safety margin, and that would be how much you "need" in the current situation.

More is probably better for unplanned changes. But your battery system will set an upper limit to how much it can deliver.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

while you don't need all of it for just that, I would still put in a 2000 watt.  Just for the fact that you never know what your going to want to run in a year or two.  

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100