cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

wifi signal amplifier

Kevin_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Been looking at getting rid of direct tv at home and in our rv. The support since AT&T took over as gone to almost nothing along with the price constantly going up. Tried to resolve with them but I've had enough. I'm looking at some of the streaming services, which I don't think will be a problem at home, and really won't lose anything except cost. The rv will probably be a different story. We camp at the same campground, set up annual on the same site. There is wifi in the campground, but it is very weak at best. There are two extenders, I believe in place now. The only way I can use the wifi is basically stand under the extender, which are both mounted on electrical poles. What I have read and researched so far, the extenders that are available will only extend the signal that is present, which in my case is almost non existant. Has anyone come up with a way to amplify a weak signal that is originating around 1000ft away? I'm afraid even if this is possible, all my neighbors would benefit from it and load the signal up and I wouldn't be any better off. Just some thoughts, before the season starts. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Kevin and Beth Todd
2016 Jayco Pinnacle 38 FLSA
2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn
16 REPLIES 16

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
When I use the WiFi service in many of the RV parks I frequent, (usually the one that's called "I have internet" in Spanish) I can generally get a good signal and good bandwidth with my WiFi antenna but they throttle me at 500 megs of data per day so that the idea of streaming in HD becomes a waste of time, . . . . until tomorrow. Then it starts all over again. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I've yet to find an RV park or campground with WiFi that lets me stream in HD (for free or included in the regular CG rate) for any length of time.

If you want to try it anyway, ask your favorite electronics store for a "super high gain WiFi directional antenna." It's kind of like a point and shoot WiFi antenna rather than an omnidirectional scatter.

Chum lee

Kevin_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
The ethernet solve might work, I need to see if the extender has an out jack. Checked into unlimited cell plans, but they would add more cost than keeping direct. Thanks for the idea, I'll see if that will work.
Kevin and Beth Todd
2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Ask your CG owner friend if you or he could hook an Ethernet cable to the existing wifi router and place a slaved router at the end of the Ethernet cable to increase CG wifi coverage.
Note: you can download movies & programs from Netflix & such on your devices and watch them later. There are devices to route the recordings to your large television.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Kevin Todd wrote:
The manager of the campground and I have been friends for several years. The bandwidth is there, that's not the issue..
Will it still not be an issue of others are doing this?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Since you camp at a single fixed location, research the cell companies for coverage in that area. Several have plans that allow unlimited streaming in standard definition, and some would even allow you to turn the service off on months you wouldn't be using it.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are friends with the CG owner there may be another possibility. I discovered to my surprise that the Ethernet cat 5 standard allows you to run cat 5 cable 100 meters, I'm not too clear how close you are to that repeater but you may be able to run cable from there if it has an Ethernet out jack.

They make cable that can be buried.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

festag
Explorer
Explorer
X2 with a ubiquiti device. Have had varying degrees of success depending upon the setup that the campground provides. As others have mentioned, signal strength can be overcome with a WiFi booster, but bandwidth is often the issue
Guy and Georgia :W
2019 Fleetwood Southwind 36P

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Is your issue bandwidth or signal strength?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand the extenders/repeaters will boost the signal but cut the bandwidth in half. I don't think there is a good solution to the issue except to move spots.

Too bad the campgrounds cannot provide a network signal over the existing phone or internet cable for a direct connection.

The campground really needs to provide more complete infrastructure. But then the fees go up ๐Ÿ˜ž

Kevin_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I left out I can get a decent stream if I go to the extender, not from my site.
Kevin and Beth Todd
2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn

Kevin_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
The manager of the campground and I have been friends for several years. The bandwidth is there, that's not the issue. I'm over 1000 ft away from the main router or reciever, and the extender is probably 200-300 ft away from my site. I can connect with my phone or a tablet and get a decent stream, but from what I've read, and extender would only extend the weak signal and not help anything. By adding an unlimited plan, the cost would be close to what I have now. I would love to be done with direct all together, still looking at options, thanks for the input.
Kevin and Beth Todd
2019 Ram 3500 Longhorn

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You have two differnt things.. First Streaming on park wi-fi is not really the best of options. many parks have limted bandwidth and if you start streaming video during prime time you won't be happen and others won't as well.

BUT if you wish to improve park WI-Fi two suggestions depending on your level of expertise;

Wi-Fi Ranger... This is an all in one solution consisting of an indoor module. (Router) outdoor Module (Wi-Fi Adapter...looks like a MODEM to the router) and cable. You stick the outdoor module up high and aim it toward the park's Access Point.

Second is a Home Brew Wi-Fi Ranger.. Ubiquiti Wi-Fi device (mine is a Nanostation Loco M-2 which is at the low end of their impressive products)

And a home router (I do not recommend BELKIN which is what I have) And you set it up yourself Alas it does not always work but it really helps.

The other option is to improve yoru CELLULAR data range.. Now you are using your own bandwidth here so nobody in the park will be upset with you hogging it.

We-Boost or Max Signal... These consist of 3 parts.. Indoor antenna. outdoor antenna. and "magic" box (2 way booster) can give you many times the Cellular Range. I have not used one of these but from what I know. Make sure you get the model (or one of them) that works with your cellular provider. And Direcitonal antennas outperform omni. but omni is easier to set up.

And as with any radio system HEIGHT is MIGHT so run 'em up a flagpole

Finally.. Have you considered DISHnetwork for Sat TV?
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m facing the same problem / delimina. Now we just take a receiver from the house and we have DIrect TV. Both places. Problem is it is standard definition. Got an e mail about 3 days ago from AT&T informing me that they were discontinuing SD a year from now and that with my existing equipment I would no longer receive satellite TV. Said that I could change over to HDTV now at no cost for anything. If/ / when I do I do change over my antenna in the coach will not work with their signal. Not even sure that I could take new equipment from the house and use it in th coach. I think I cannot. A friend changed to DTV HD and he is paying for additional equipment for the motor home only., like two seperate systems. Not sure I understand it all but looks like more money to me. Iโ€™ve wondered about subscribing to portable WiFi or a smart phone with unlimited data for streaming tv in the coach.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are some long threads on this. As I understand it the big problem with WIFI boosters is that many RV parks have low bandwidth WIFI. So amplifying that signal gives you a stronger signal but does not improve the bandwidth. Which means you can connect just fine but still cannot download anything.

So yeah you may be able to boost the signal but will the park give you enough data (bandwidth) to work with?

I've been looking at Cell Phone Boosters but they have obvious drawbacks, mainly you have to buy a bigger data package from your cell company. We had problems with AT&T landline and finally cut the cord, they kept adding stuff on the account that we did not want or need. My wife would call them up and complain then 2 months later they'd do it again.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper