cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2024 Chevy HD DRW and SRW Fuel Economy Test

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Chevy did good for a 3500 DRW truck. At 17.7mpg Chevy made a good improvement.

Link

The Chevy 2500 made 20mpg

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
40 REPLIES 40

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I am always asked what MPGs does my dually get.
I tell them I don't really know. I did not buy it for economy. I bought it to do a job. Tow my Momentum. whatever it takes in fuel to do it is what it takes.
The follow up qustion is usually:"Well what does it get not towing?
I tell them, I don't know, as that doesn't happen often enough to track it.

My truck is my daily driver so fuel economy is a bit high on my priority list. Having said that back in in '12 it was clear that I wanted a truck that was equipped with DEF because I new it would yield better fuel economy. With 270k miles on my truck, those fuel savings adds up which means more money stayed in my pocket.

Curious on how much diesel is in your area Fish. It's $6.25+ and going to the moon where I live. Electricity is not any better. .38 cents/ KWH at the lowest and going up too. My wifes car takes all night to charge so I have to charge a lot at super high 3rd tier rates. It's now a wash or even cheaper to put gas in it.

I live in Kalifornia. Please send money.

Fuel prices just recently started to creep up again. We're at $3.68 - $4.00 for diesel what I saw yesterday. For gas it's was $3.38 at a Shell station near our house.

Prices will continue to climb until the next election cycle.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
I tell them I don't really know. I did not buy it for economy. I bought it to do a job. Tow my Momentum. whatever it takes in fuel to do it is what it takes.

My truck is my daily driver so fuel economy is a bit high on my priority list. Having said that back in in '12 it was clear that I wanted a truck that was equipped with DEF because I new it would yield better fuel economy. With 270k miles on my truck, those fuel savings adds up which means more money stayed in my pocket.

Curious on how much diesel is in your area Fish. It's $6.25+ and going to the moon where I live. Electricity is not any better. .38 cents/ KWH at the lowest and going up too. My wifes car takes all night to charge so I have to charge a lot at super high 3rd tier rates. It's now a wash or even cheaper to put gas in it.

I live in Kalifornia. Please send money.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
What really burns my arse is when I come over a hill with 115,000 lbs in tow to find a flipping Tesla putzing along at 80 kph in the slow lane on a busy 110 kph highway. What do you do? There's people doing 125 in the fast lane so getting over to the left is not going to work; Could slam on the brakes and burn three weeks wages off the brake linings and another days wages of diesel lugging the load back up the hill trying to get back to speed if you ever get a chance to get around the pesky savior of mother earth. I could just come flying up behind the cursed Tesla with the air horn blaring knowing full well it is capable of hitting 80 mph in about 1/2 of second. I could pass her on the right hand shoulder and hopefully teach her a lesson. I guess I should be more sympathetic ... after all she needs to make it from Edmonton to Calgary on one a single charge so she's only doing what she's got to do.

Whatโ€™s the lowest legal speed on that road? A โ€œpennies-per-mileโ€ defense ainโ€™t gonna cut it morally. Could be someone ill or injured, or with a poorly functioning vehicle, but making best headway.

Or one rounds the bend and thereโ€™s a school bus full of children and nuns over on its side.

โ€œWhyโ€ theyโ€™re traveling slower, yet legally isnโ€™t any of my business. Only shows Iโ€™m a poor driver it bugs me.

In USA, itโ€™s illegal to block entry to passing lane. No inherent ROW. (Thatโ€™s where Iโ€™m going). One backs off to get a pass over soonest (also law), so that lane is โ€œclearโ€. Itโ€™s the only choice should worst situation occur. Literally why we built with two lanes nationwide.

There is not any such thing as, โ€œthe fast laneโ€.

Left lane tailgaters are equivalent of being without insurance. SHOULDNโ€™T BE PRESENT. (They win the Darwin Award). Faster travel speed = zero ROW. 200โ€™ spacing or better at all times (more for big trucks), and not ever in left lane till vehicle ahead has finished pass.

Heavy traffic means one travels more slowly. Upper limit isnโ€™t the thing. ROAD CHOICE determined travel time, not travel speed.

Todays car drivers are worse than theyโ€™ve ever been. Think metro freeway and rural Interstate are the same. They arenโ€™t.

Per radar the average they cut in front of my rig is 80-ft. Should be 200+ and still solidly accelerating away. (Need 700+ feet to stop)

Donโ€™t cut in front of big truck without 7-8 lane stripes visible, minimum. Merging on-road the same. Running up ahead of me going into construction and not ten feet from car in front. Etc.

I agree about the selfishness/stupidity which merge into one-ness above 45-MPH. But legal travel speed in correct lane isnโ€™t one of the highway problems. (I slow to 50-45/MPH at exits BEFORE the ramp as thatโ€™s the ONLY prudent way to exit per road design and vehicle physics).

My rig WILL come to a full, controlled stop UPRIGHT. God help the stupid/selfish as law doesnโ€™t require us to sacrifice ourselves. Left lane is only way to avoid smashing the TRAVEL LANE problem. Itโ€™s the SINGLE choice. Left lane is passing only (not overtaking), and for EMERGENCY use.

Anticipate thatโ€™s always just ahead where it canโ€™t be seen. CYA. Then can use the designated lane to get past without qualms. (Where the stupid & selfish wind up is between them and their god).

This is a central fact of how things are.

Luckily, the stupids are predictable. Travel in packs. Itโ€™s no feat to slow a bit till theyโ€™re far away. I do it all day. Doesnโ€™t change my trip plan. Travel speed adjusted to traffic volume & other conditions. Etc. You know the drill: Maximum Vehicle Separation the day long.

Itโ€™s also congruent with fuel economy: least use of throttle & brakes. (Next to no passing, not even several times per hour in most cases).

And arenโ€™t you guys using LADD channels to warn each other? AM-19 on CB ainโ€™t what it used to be , but itโ€™s still operative about rolling or stationary hazards.

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
Best test that total emergency stopping distance.

And highest maneuvering speed prior to rollover.

A pickup pulling a square box trailer with slide-outs is one atrocious rig when it matters.

Reasonable highway speed wonโ€™t be above 65-MPH just for typical electric drums.

Or above 55 with a prayer of an emergency swerve.
1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
And at the end of the day it actually matters, why?
You drive the speed and style that you drive and unless youโ€™re already drivin miss daisy, you drive slower if you want to use less fuel. And you drive faster if you donโ€™t care and want to get there sooner.

Because you want to know if driving miss daisy is saving you enough money to make the extra time, aggravation, and road rage incidents worth it. If it's only saving you $10/month, stomp on the skinny pedal and keep up with traffic.

This seems pretty reasonable to me. Iโ€™ve bumped up my towing speed as the trade off of MPG vs MPH is worth it for me after I calculated it.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
What really burns my arse is when I come over a hill with 115,000 lbs in tow to find a flipping Tesla putzing along at 80 kph in the slow lane on a busy 110 kph highway. What do you do? There's people doing 125 in the fast lane so getting over to the left is not going to work; Could slam on the brakes and burn three weeks wages off the brake linings and another days wages of diesel lugging the load back up the hill trying to get back to speed if you ever get a chance to get around the pesky savior of mother earth. I could just come flying up behind the cursed Tesla with the air horn blaring knowing full well it is capable of hitting 80 mph in about 1/2 of second. I could pass her on the right hand shoulder and hopefully teach her a lesson. I guess I should be more sympathetic ... after all she needs to make it from Edmonton to Calgary on one a single charge so she's only doing what she's got to do.

I think you need a snickersโ€ฆ..
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Huntindog wrote:

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
You drive the speed and style that you drive and unless youโ€™re already drivin miss daisy, you drive slower if you want to use less fuel. And you drive faster if you donโ€™t care and want to get there sooner.

Because you want to know if driving miss daisy is saving you enough money to make the extra time, aggravation, and road rage incidents worth it. If it's only saving you $10/month, stomp on the skinny pedal and keep up with traffic.

Haha, thought of this post as a passed multiple people doing 25-30mph on 35-40mph streets this morning.
Who tf gets up and goes for a ride at 5:30am with nowhere to be?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
How one fills matters not unless itโ€™s a MPG test loop returning to the same pump at the same station. In which case, fill to auto-shutoff (only).

Records are for the average over time which is the single accurate method. Each season has weather affecting MPG, and each season has family duties change somewhat. It will take 3-5k miles for that accurate average to emerge.

Truly accurate records = every fill, and with a full year of use. The annual average. All else is a subset. As above, the FUELLY app will do the work for you.

Only the Annual Average MPG matters. (Tank-by-tank always has errors resolved later by the actual average).

One wants to break it out for vacation miles then one also needs to separate travel TO an area from travel WITHIN that area visited. (Fill before arriving at destination campground).

Leave town and fill 50-75/miles out (warm-up complete) and call that the start. Same with last fill being inbound to home 50-75/miles out before hitting metro traffic. Thatโ€™s the end.

โ€œVacation milesโ€ need isolation in two ways:

1). Highway towing versus solo day trips.
2). Then, no DD miles included at vacation start or end.

TT towing is an aero problem. Same load in TV at same speed should indicate towing is a 40% penalty at approx 60-MPH. Over 50% and itโ€™s time to investigate mechanical maladjustments from both vehicles brakes, both vehicles alignment, WDH, etc. MPG is a warning flag when itโ€™s off from recorded average (tires are expensive compared to an alignment check or correcting brake drag).

WDH is scale confirmation of settings plus accurate tire pressure as well as loaded TV sans trailer.

The solo test loop is that baseline. Without it one is always in the dark as to what is true. One accurate test, one time, suffices. (TV loaded โ€” simulated based on scale records โ€” as if loaded for a camping trip. Run exclusively on cruise control same speed as when towing; turnaround about 100-miles and back to same pump).

1990 35โ€™ Silver Streak

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
This BS of fill til it clicks and wait then same is a joke. It takes a bit but you can fill to the top if you want.

You literally have a truck that will make a mess if you try doing that, just like all other capless fuel fillers Iโ€™ve seenโ€ฆ. And what is the difference really? If itโ€™s a similar flow rate pump itโ€™s gonna foam and click off about the same (talking about diesels) yes the click off is more accurate with gas since it doesnโ€™t foam up.

GM basically solved the "foam" problem long ago, At least by 2015 there is a wire mesh in the filler neck that drastically reduces foaming.

Don't know if ford and dodge have done the same, but wouldn't be suprised.

My 2004 foamed and I could get quite a bit more in the tank. 2015, not worth the effort, it gets it so close to full.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!