cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Blue Ox bade plates bolts falling off

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a new one. when I went to hook up our tow car this morning in Albuquerque I pulled on the base plate and it wiggled back and forth. I have been noticing a grinding action while Towing the car the last few days and to my shock, two of the three attachment bolts had fallen out of the base plate. on the other side one was sheared off. It wasn't any way to put new bolts in there on my own because the inside was inaccessible without the bumper coming off. Admittedly our tow car is a big one, a Hummer H2 which our Monaco Dynasty tows very easily and every few years I actually replace the Blue Ox hitch to make sure I have one that hasn't been stressed for a long time. there wasn't anybody in Albuquerque who could fix it right away so my wife jumped into the car and drove it herself. following the RV back to Phoenix where we can get it repaired. So my tip would be once in a while, when you're checking your hitch check the bolts on the base plate to make sure they have them jiggled out or sheared off. I called Blue Ox and they were amazed also and told me not to use it as it could cause an accident
4 REPLIES 4

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Over 50 years back I noticed yellow paint on bolts and nuts on a Jap bike. Asked guy that worked at dealer, was told it was so they could see bolts turned, tampered with for warranty. I started marking bolts on Panhead, so did not need to check with wrench every day.
Have painted many bolts on many trucks over the decades.

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
I just got this email from Blue Ox technical support on the type of bolts I need to use for the base plate that's used for the Hummer H2. They said: Those are just standard Grade 5 bolts. Should be able to pick up at a hardware store even. ยฝโ€-13 x 2โ€ grade 5 zinc plated. Be sure to use red lock tite and torque to 78 ft. lbs. Also be sure to check the base plate and frame of the H2 for any damage before re-installing

mexicanpiloto13
Explorer III
Explorer III
Great questions and the installer was Al's RV on Bell Road in Phoenix but they're no longer in business they were a Blue Ox dealer and this was done many years

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Couple questions: did the installer use loctite on the bolts? And were the bolts grade 8? Were they changed at any time and grade 8 bolts with loctite used?