cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Car Play for tow vehicles

Bob_Vaughn
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting to get Car Play for my 2013 GMC truck but am clueless as to what to get...
6 REPLIES 6

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Bob Vaughn wrote:
I am wanting to get Car Play for my 2013 GMC truck but am clueless as to what to get...

Get a new stereo (head unit).

This. In my 2012 I went with a new Pioneer head unit. It had wireless CarPlay (which is really nice). Also gave me a much better back up camera, and you have the options of more cameras should you so choose.

Best Buy often offers free install with purchase.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Bob Vaughn wrote:

Get a new stereo (head unit).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
You will need an iPhone and a stereo that has the Car play function.
Cructhfield or a local car stereo shop can help.

My 2009 Silverado was way before CarPlay and USB ports existed in GM Stereos, but it has an auxiliary input jack. I plug my iPhone into that and play music via Pandora.

My 2017 Colorado Has Carplay
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

SuperBus
Nomad
Nomad
I'd recommend taking a look at Crutchfield's website and perhaps even chatting their experts. I'd suspect they'd have a few suggestions for your truck.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you want to swap out your current audio? You could get a CarPlay ready audio system. You will of course still need a iPhone.

If you donโ€™t want to swap, you can get a dash mounted CarPlay display that plugs into the AUX port on your current system. These are available on Amazon. iPhone still needed to connect to display. Search for CarPlay screen.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
You could do what we do if you have a USB port connected to the audio system.
We have a little over 1000 songs downloaded on to a flash (thumb) drive. We have driven from Ohio to Arizona without listening to the same song twice.
Our cat, that rides in the back seat of the pickup when we move the RV, seems to prefer George Strait - which is a good thing since we have about 50 of his songs loaded on the flash drive. ๐Ÿ™‚
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah