Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hot weather towing

marpel
Explorer
Explorer
'22 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6000lb trailer.

Will be heading to Denver Co from Vancouver BC in a week or so.

Have towed this route a number of times in the past, mostly in spring or fall, so the temperatures were less than current. Usually have done the Interstates through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, then either I80 or down to I70 from Salt Lake City, but have done I90 east then south down I25 as well. Regardless, mountain ascents are encountered (although I70 is significant).

Appears this heat is affecting every state in the south/southwest. Due to schedule, we will be travelling about 8-10 hours a day both ways, and only early morning/late night is not feasible.

For those pulling in this heat, any issues encountered or any suggested changes to routine?

Marv
23 REPLIES 23

dedmiston
spoon059 wrote:
dedmiston wrote:
Now excuse me while I go toss another virgin into the volcano.

Getting harder and harder to find those, don't throw them in unless absolutely necessary...

Theyโ€™re out there though.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
dedmiston wrote:

Getting harder and harder to find those, don't throw them in unless absolutely necessary...

Not to hard to find someone who IDENTIFIES as a virgin. If you disagree you are called names and othered, if not sued or arrested.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Take a look in your owner's manual and see what oil it suggests for extreme use or whatever they call it. use that oil and just don't be in a rush.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
pianotuna wrote:

If you have a generator and can run it while towing, start it up 90 minutes before stopping for the day and run the air conditioner.

Assuming you have the covers that allow you to run with the vents open (and it's not dusty), open the roof vents. You'll get 90% of the benefit without worry about what's happening with the generator back in the trailer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fridge cooling will also be a problem. Keep it in the shade while parked if possible.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
Living in West Texas, I tow in the heat a LOT. 100 degrees is nothing. As long as you have good tires, you're fine.

As far as cooling the rig, it sort of depends on the rig and number of a/c's.
It can take a while to cool mid-day in the sun or with high humidity, though. If your rig struggles to cool in heat, and many do, you may be waiting for sunset for relief. Shady RV sites are always nice.

I generally dump my a/c and stand under it with a cold drink after I set up. A fan can also help.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree with Thom02099, I would avoid I70 and follow the route he suggests.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
I have zero science to back this up, so feel free to treat it as the ramblings of a superstitious native...

I always check/fill my tires the night before a trip.

One time we had two blowouts as we towed though a hot desert (100ยฐ+). I attribute this to filling the tires "cold" the night before when it was probably in the 60s and then the tires expanding when the daytime heat got into the 100s.

So now I factor this in when I know the next day's drive is going to be a hot one. I'll back off 5ยฐ below my usual target PSI to give some wiggle room for expansion.

Heat will damage tires, nobody can deny that. Now maybe there is some magic to RV trailer tires that makes them act different, but a under inflated tire flexes more, and will build up more heat. While that extra heat will increase pressure, that is engineered into the sidewall pressure, and is to be set cold
Millions of miles has taught me that in hot weather tires less likely to blow if set at, (or a little above) sidewall max.

And about that check the night before; If you have been driving all day, make sure tires have cooled to ambient before you check. Personally, I would rather get up early, know they are as cold as will get.
Driving in hot weather, (or any time going long distance, IMHO), stop before you feel your about to drowned. As soon as stop, go around touching every tire and hub. If 1 is hotter than others, mark it, then go take care of your body. Find out the why of the extra heat before you leave.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Some of these responses are a little over the topโ€ฆ
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Marv,

I'd slow down.

If you have a generator and can run it while towing, start it up 90 minutes before stopping for the day and run the air conditioner.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
marpel wrote:
'22 GMC Sierra 2500HD, 6000lb trailer.

Will be heading to Denver Co from Vancouver BC in a week or so.

Have towed this route a number of times in the past, mostly in spring or fall, so the temperatures were less than current. Usually have done the Interstates through Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Utah, then either I80 or down to I70 from Salt Lake City, but have done I90 east then south down I25 as well. Regardless, mountain ascents are encountered (although I70 is significant).

Appears this heat is affecting every state in the south/southwest. Due to schedule, we will be travelling about 8-10 hours a day both ways, and only early morning/late night is not feasible.

For those pulling in this heat, any issues encountered or any suggested changes to routine?

Marv

Might want to consider weather forecast to determine route. For the last 2 weeks of July and first 2 weeks of August, the extended forecast for Denver and northern Colorado is for low 90s/mid to upper 80s, so a decent forecast for here. Wyoming is somewhat similar.

Perhaps consider the I-90 to I-25 route as being the flattest all the way through. Probability of keeping truck and trailer cooler (as well as their tires) in a more cruise worthy route.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good call!!! 7th year running mine on my Boat trailer.

"in fact am in the process of putting brand new ones on the trailer (Goodyear Endurance)"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
As the others noted, tire pressures are correct.

Check engine coolant. Top it off. The reservoir probably has high/low lines to mark the acceptable levels. May want to make sure the coolant level is in the top half.

If you have a transmission temperature gauge, keep an eye on it. Shouldn't be a problem, but the temp could creep up on long climbs.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~