cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Interesting tow vehicle

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
This combo just pulled into my campground in Red Deer. The trailer looks to be about 25 feet from the side.

I'll see if I can engage them in conversation and find out more as the day goes on.

thanks!

Kevin
16 REPLIES 16

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Not much frontal area on the classic. If it has a big motor, he may be letting it have extra air. Those old cars were built like trucks with a real frames and poor brakes....

They were used as Caravan towers in the 1950's here, so we're European and Early Holdens

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Back in 1954 my father purchased a 28' mobile home, not a camper, a home, and pulled it as needed with about a 1952 Mercury that had around 90hp. The brake controller was operated by hand and he had to remember to engage it every time he stopped. He did not go anywhere fast but he did move it several times with no problems, even in the summer heat. Some of those old cars were pretty tough.

Campteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Where are the weight police when you need them? If that was a 2010 F-150 the weigh police would be all over that towing that trailer! :B

I thought the same thing! There is an old car show on here, my campground is beside a fairground, so I'm guessing he's brought it for that. Maybe he's local. I would be surprised if he's using it to tow on the main highway between Calgary and Edmonton.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Where are the weight police when you need them? If that was a 2010 F-150 the weigh police would be all over that towing that trailer! :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Nice. Probably has a big motor under the hood too.

....and beefed up or boxed-in frame too.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Threebigfords wrote:
I have a 32ft 1951 Spartan Royal Mansion. The original ownwers manual has a picture on the front of it being towed by a Desoto.

:C:C:C

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
I think 1937 was the last chevy with headlights separate from the body.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 32ft 1951 Spartan Royal Mansion. The original ownwers manual has a picture on the front of it being towed by a Desoto.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Not much frontal area on the classic. If it has a big motor, he may be letting it have extra air. Those old cars were built like trucks with a real frames and poor brakes....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
He needs one of those new "retro" trailers Terry is making. That would look really good. FIL has a 48 Chevy chopped and channeled with a vette engine. Keep trying to talk him into it but no luck so far.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a classic car guy so I'd wander over to ask about the car. The driver and I would have a lot in common and a lot to talk about. It appears to be a 1940 Chevy. Probably with an updated drive train and suspension.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
I'd casually wander over and strike up a friendly conversation....might be a real friendly guy...if not wander away.

I would walk directly over and ask about the TV. The driver is either friendly or not.
I'm sure they have been asked before.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I'd casually wander over and strike up a friendly conversation....might be a real friendly guy...if not wander away.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Very common in late 1940s and 1950s....Nicky and Tacy drove a convertible.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad