cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SEEKING TOW VEHICLE VALUE??

DD716TED
Explorer
Explorer
Now that we have sold our travel trailer, DW deemed it time to get rid of our 2006 F-250. I would like to sell it to a private party but determining a price for it has become an problem.. I have used the on line KBB and others, providing the data they requested but have never been given a value of the vehicle.. But what I do get is within hours an endless stream of phone calls from several local dealers offering me a trade in value on a new vehicle from them.. Any ideas where to get a good base price for used vehicles such as mine.. Thanks
15 REPLIES 15

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I always check AutoTempest to see what cars are selling for that I'm looking at. It is a search engine that checks all the major listings, Ebay, craigslist . cars.com, Carvana and more. No cost to you, and its fast.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Doesn't work for me. I tried specifying how many miles out to search, and got the same local results.

There used to be a "search nearby areas" you could check off which then listed all the other CL sites within hundreds of miles. That's gone.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You can search a huge radius on CL. I’ve got it set to about 350mi radius generally.
And even if searching a local area, just search a populated area if yer in the boonies.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
PA12DRVR wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Dude, pump the brakes. Just get on CL and FB and look at what’s for sale. Price accordingly. No need to complicate it with whatever you’re doing ….or just look up the value on kbb and quit clicking links to marketing ****.

^^^^ This, in spades. Just cruise through FB or CL plugging in search terms to reflect your vehicle. See what comes up. Price within that range or a little above / below depending if you want big $$$ or a quick sale.

There's jack-all for F250s of that vintage on Craigslist and the "search nearby areas" function was removed so you'll have to spend hours going from site to site to find more of jack-all for F250's.

I'd like someone to show me how to get searches to work on FB Marketplace. When I search for F250, I get like 3 listings then there's nothing but ads for anything but, including patio furniture and Mexican food.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
As others have suggested, look up the current asking prices on FB, Craigslist, etc... for similar trucks.

But honestly unless it's something really special, you are probably in the $5-8k range, so even if you are a bit under priced, it's not likely to be more than a few hundred that you leave on the table. (no ill intent, I'm driving a 2008 with 250k miles on it).

If you were driving a 2020 with 25k miles, I would be more concerned as you could easily under price by $5-10k.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Or we can price what it’s worth right here.
V10 = 10 grand
5.4 = 5 grand (gutless turd in a HD)
6.0 = half eaten bag of peanuts that someone threw the empty shells back in the bag.
“bulletproofed” 6.0 = the above bag full and unopened.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Dude, pump the brakes. Just get on CL and FB and look at what’s for sale. Price accordingly. No need to complicate it with whatever you’re doing ….or just look up the value on kbb and quit clicking links to marketing ****.

^^^^ This, in spades. Just cruise through FB or CL plugging in search terms to reflect your vehicle. See what comes up. Price within that range or a little above / below depending if you want big $$$ or a quick sale.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
On the screen where it's calculating your value, you need to click "Not now, maybe later" instead of putting in your email address. Or just wait. It will bring up the values.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with those who say you're doing something wrong.

I've used KBB a zillion times, and have always gotten values immediately and have never left my contact info and never been contacted unless I wanted it.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:

DITTO!

DD716TED wrote:
I have used the on line KBB and others, providing the data they requested but have never been given a value of the vehicle.. But what I do get is within hours an endless stream of phone calls from several local dealers offering me a trade in value on a new vehicle from them..

You are doing something wrong if you are aren't getting a value right then and there.
Every time I plug in my vehicle details, I get a value on the web page I am on. I can switch back and forth between retail, trade, private party sale and see all three values.

Don't enter your phone number, and don't select the option to be contacted by dealers, and you won't get those annoying calls.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I always priced it to sell. All that other info is just BS. You know what you will take so put that number on it, never let cash walk away as they never come back.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Martyn
Nomad
Nomad
DD716TED wrote:
Now that we have sold our travel trailer, DW deemed it time to get rid of our 2006 F-250. I would like to sell it to a private party but determining a price for it has become an problem.. I have used the on line KBB and others, providing the data they requested but have never been given a value of the vehicle.. But what I do get is within hours an endless stream of phone calls from several local dealers offering me a trade in value on a new vehicle from them.. Any ideas where to get a good base price for used vehicles such as mine.. Thanks

I use KBB regularly to get updated values for my truck. Never put in e-mail address or phone number. I have always received my valuation.
2020 Keystone Cougar Half-Ton 27SGS;
2019 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 6.4 Hemi BigHorn;
DEMCO Autoslide; 2 Honda EU2000i's;
Our Website

TCBear
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not familiar with the current crop of pricing guides, but in years past always found Edmunds to be one of the more realistic and accurate evaluators.