cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing with 6.2l 3.23 gear ratio

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 with the 6.2l engine standard tow package with the 3,23 gear ratio. I'm looking at a travel trailer with a dry weight of 6494 lbs, Its an ultra lite that is rated as half ton towable. I already tow a travel trailer now with a dry weight of around 4600 lbs which tows really well even up grades. Anyone else towing with this setup and what is the max you have towed? I've watched those Fast Lane Truck videos where they tow up the Ike Gauntlet with a 9000 lb trailer with the 6.2 and 3.23 without a whole lot of problem. As long as you have the right weight distribution setup I would think you should be ok. Thoughts?
7 REPLIES 7

d1h
Nomad II
Nomad II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Lol, right?
So an hour at a supercharger (and finding a supercharger in the right spot, so an hour doesnโ€™t take longer), or half a day at a level 2 charger every 100miles?
Iโ€™d eat a bullet by 10am on the first day!!
Still great as local vehicles, ok for traveling depending where you travel, and literally bottom of the barrel for towing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^None of that info matters unless you donโ€™t know much about trucks and are trying to calculate it โ€œby the numbers for the OPโ€.
This is how the rabbit hole gets so deep every time the same question is asked here by a different person.
Too much overthinking. Itโ€™s a heavy duty half ton with the biggest engine they offer and a trailer that is well below the tow rating of the truck and not a concern for tongue weight, as presented. And the answer would be the same for literally almost all newer half tons.

No need to make it into rocket surgery, as much as that appears to appeal to some people.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
What is the GVWR of the trailer?
What is the payload rating of the truck?
What is the tow rating of the truck?
What transmission does the truck have?

Empty weight is a useless number as you won't camp empty. Assuming around 8500 ready to travel, you a hitch eight of around 1000-1200lb is quite reasonable. Add in passenger weight, cargo in the bed and any bolt on accessories and you may be over payload ratings.

If the transmission is one of the newer 8/10speed jobs, the rear end ratio isn't particularly important (assuming you aren't over the tow rating). The truck's computer will simply pick the gear that gives the overall ratio it wants...so instead of running at 2500rpm in 7th with a higher (numerical) rear end, you may run at 2500rpm in 6th with the lower rear end.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Agree. And 3.23s vs 3.42s will be minimal from the seat of the pants.

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 8400lb loaded trailer with the 6.2 / 8 speed w/ 3.42 with no problems whatsoever. Of all the combos Iโ€™ve had, that was one of the best. It was the best towing mileage I ever got also. Consistently 11 mpg.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Same truck, 5.3/6speed only, in the 2016 flavor and a 2020 5.3/10speed. Towed 10-14klbs many times up n over the Cascades.
Youโ€™ll have no trouble with a 7500-8klb travel trailer like youโ€™re asking about.
Only drawback is if you have the maligned 8 speed that was only offered for a couple years, I wouldnโ€™t want to horsehwip that trans like the 6 speed or 10 speed could handle.