cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing

samandjohn
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all, just bought my first new toy hauler. I plan on hauling my side by side in the back. I have weight distribution bars and sway bars on a 2 5/16 hitch. Dry weight is 5262 and GVWR is 7,668. This gives me a cargo weight of 2,406. Side by side weighs 1700 lbs. This is my first toy hauler and want to make sure Iโ€™m getting the weight and balance correct. Any suggestions for this new guy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
19 REPLIES 19

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I'll be odd man out.

I would NOT put the SBS as far forward as you can. Especially if you are towing with a 1/2 ton. That's crazy.

Toy haulers are notoriously tongue heavy and you are being told to make it even more tongue heavy. Sorry, but this is the wrong thing to do.

The best thing to do is put it on a scale and load the SBS where your TH has 15% tongue weight and call it good.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
samandjohn wrote:
Hello all, just bought my first new toy hauler. I plan on hauling my side by side in the back. I have weight distribution bars and sway bars on a 2 5/16 hitch. Dry weight is 5262 and GVWR is 7,668. This gives me a cargo weight of 2,406. Side by side weighs 1700 lbs. This is my first toy hauler and want to make sure Iโ€™m getting the weight and balance correct. Any suggestions for this new guy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What is your tow vehicle? I also agree with the get the side by side as far forward as possible. I would consider weighing the Side by side axles and put the heaviest axle forward.

Great advice!
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
samandjohn wrote:

What is your tow vehicle? I also agree with the get the side by side as far forward as possible. I would consider weighing the Side by side axles and put the heaviest axle forward.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Thatโ€™s a dinky toy hauler for such a large SxS.
Stuff the buggy in it and see how much the tongue weight is, is about the best suggestion.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would weigh the rig empty. Then weigh the rig with side by side. I would try to keep side by side as far forward as possible.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker