cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck or Tahoe

cjwink
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at getting another TT. Our current vehicles are a 2018 GMC Sierra SLT and a 2020 Chevy Tahoe Premier. Both have the 5.3L but VIN lookups show they have very different max towing rates. The truck is 6100lbs and the Tahoe 8600lbs. The TT we are considering is 4,600lbs dry weight. So I think both will handle the trailer, but which one would be the best option?
9 REPLIES 9

APT
Explorer
Explorer
If the pickup has 6-spd trans and 3.08 gears, the performance will feel very much worse than the Tahoe with 10-spd with any available axle ratios. The pickup's longer wheelbase will likely have better stability, but I would expect a WDH with integrated sway control, both will be great.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
cjwink wrote:
I was surprised by the trucks 6100lb rating. The only thing I can figure is because of the 3.08 gears.

That's exactly the reason.

My 2015 Chevy was rated exactly the same. Performance wise, it was quite a bit better than my previous 2003 which had the 4.8L and 3.42 gears, which I can only figure is due to the 5.3L engine and 6-speed.

You can SAFELY tow your trailer with either vehicle. It will be down to a matter of comfort. The Tahoe will probably pull it more comfortably. Try them both and see which one you like best. You may be surprised.

There is absolutely NO reason to cower in a corner and fear towing with either of those vehicles.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The hoe will pull it a fair bit better than the 3.08, presumably 6 speed Sierra. The truck will handle the trailer slightly better.
Either will be fine.
Does it really matter if you have the option of both rigs sitting in the driveway? see which one you like best. its as easy as switching the hitch receiver to the other vehicle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
A low tow rating could be because of the lack of a cooling ability. On my last Suburban, my engine and transmission temps would skyrocket under a load. Give me the truck.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
cjwink wrote:
I was surprised by the trucks 6100lb rating. The only thing I can figure is because of the 3.08 gears.

This is why your tow rating is lower than expected. Some may say that longer wheelbase of truck helps with towing. I would say that you could get the travel trailer and tow it with either of your vehicles. I would choose the Tahoe as I suspect it has more equipment for comfort and ease of driving.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

TCBear
Explorer
Explorer
I suspect that folks sometimes have a tendency to view pickups as absolute towing and load hauling machines. But it depends on the model, 2WD/4WD, and factory equipment. Some pickups are relative lightweights when it comes to towing, and some SUVs are heavyweights (except when compared to the mega pickups).

cjwink
Explorer
Explorer

TCBear
Explorer
Explorer
You can either crunch the numbers or add a semi-arbitrary 1,000 lbs to convert trailer dry weight to wet weight, I suspect. Both vehicles can handle that, although the SUV by a greater margin. I would suggest a better question may be if you'd prefer to tow in a pickup truck (small interior but large bed for cargo) or an SUV (large interior room, more seats). That would likely be my deciding factor here, rather than towing capacity.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Something sounds wrong with the 5.3 1500 trucks tow rating.
The wifes '16 1500 chevy crew cab 5.3 6 speed 3.42 gears 4wd has a 9200 lb tow rating.
I would think the newer 2018 1500 GMC 5.3 would be close/same to the chevy tow ratings.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides