cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big Toy, Toy Haulers???

KingofChilli82
Explorer
Explorer
Whats up guys? Im new here and looking for some information. Me and the gf are looking to make a big decision in the next year or so to buy a brand new hauler. I already have a tow rig i wont be getting rid of anytime soon. 1997 Mack CH600 with a 400+ hp E7 Mack motor that only hay 150k on a full in frame rebuild, all rebuilt front end and brand new tires all around. What we are looking for is something i can haul my crawler in or any future crawlers. Its 94" wide and has a wheel base of 123" on 44" tires so even 14 foot is cutting it close. Plus it weights 5300 pounds. Then add to that 4 8gal propane tanks, 2 sets of axle shafts, a couple driveshafts, another transfer case, another tire, 5 gallons of hydraulic fluid, 5 gallons of oil and some other miscellaneous parts for spares. Then we still have to add all of our camping stuff to that lol. We currently haul 2 rigs on out trailer now but she just got a new Samurai that will be hauled on the back of the semi like a smart car. I know that there are race trailers out there that will suit our needs but are entirely to pricey. I could resort to building a new set up like we have now but the insurance is in a grey area and we dont want that. Who out there is hauling similar things and what are you hauling it in? I also should note i REALLY want a door between the LQ and the garage because of the smell. When we yard sale it (break it bad) it can really start to leak and stink like gear lube BAD. I posted some pics of our current set up for everyone bellow.

and one of the rig that has to go in our future TH

Mod Edit: As previously mentioned please do not post photos wider then 800 pixels as it skews the forum. Details are in the photo thread, that you previously posted to. Thanks.
20 REPLIES 20

04superduty
Explorer
Explorer
to add to the comment above i would also look into a pivoting deck on the back so you could drive one crawler on, raise the deck up, and pull the second under the first.
something like this.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-used-parts-sale-wanted/541177-fs-2-car-custom-open-traile...
04 F350 6.0PSD/TS EC SB
07 Outback Sydney edition

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought on your new build. Ditch the deck over to drop the overall height of the toy hauler.

What we just built is much smaller than what your planning. But it sure is nice to only have 2-3 steps to get on the deck.

2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Bedlam
If you were to put a toy hauler fifth wheel body on a goose neck trailer, I would look at how to hinge the ramp from above instead of the bottom. This would give you a partially covered deck when left open.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

KingofChilli82
Explorer
Explorer
Im looking for a little more luxury over a W&P. Dont get me wrong the build quality is awesome.

I have decided on doing a toy hauler like this:

The guys that made the one above had it converted from a brand new 5er to a toy hauler in a weekend. Of course then they needed to paint it and add the side boxes but that is the kind of project time line im into lol.

I did some measuring and i could get by with a 12' garage for the Sami and load it off to one side to have room for propane tanks and tool boxes. I would need a 16' deck for my rig off the back.

Anyone looking to sell??? I have some interest in my current set up...

Puller_810
Explorer
Explorer
Sundowner is making what you need, along with ATC trailers. The problem is they are 5-7 months behind and dealers have zero on the lots because they sell immediately. I wanted one but couldn't wait and ended up finding a used 40' Work & Play for now. I may order a Sundowner this fall however as the build quality is superb.

Racing junk has a 38' W&P posted by a guy out of Alabama, 2016 very nice. I almost bought it but got lucky and found one locally that's a little older but will work and it's not a 1500 mile round trip.
40' Work & Play

KingofChilli82
Explorer
Explorer
You may have seen me upside down on Chocolate Thunder one night during KOH lol!!!

As for hauling both rigs I know I won't find one for that. I'm really just looking to haul the big one inside. I'll put the gf new Sami on the flat bed of the semi.

Or I may just have to add an 18' flat deck to the back of a Heartland Road Warrior and put the Sami inside. Best of both worlds. I really like the one with the opposing slides in the living room and the elevated kitchen.

Here is my travel itinerary if anyone is going to the same events be sure and say hey!

May 25-29 Memorial Off Road Rally in Dresser WI
June 8-11 Outlaw race @ Pumpjack Offroad
June 22-25 Ultra 4 @ Badlands
June 30-July 3rd 4th of July @ SMORR
July 13-16 SRRS @ Flatnasty
August 11-13 Ulta 4 @ DTOR
August 18-20 Hi-Lift Days @ Redbird SRA
August 31-04 Labor Day @ SMORR
Sept 20-24 DIXIE RUN!!! @ Golden MTN
October 5-8 SRRS Finals & Formula Off road @ Bikini Bottoms
October 19-23 Fall Crawl!!!! @ Black MTN
November 23-26 Turkey Day @ SMORR
December 29-Jan 1st Bounty Hill Comp @ Moonlight Racing
February 1-12 King of The Hammers in Johnson Valley

RE_Todd
Explorer
Explorer
You could do what DToy, John James, did several years ago. Build out a moving van trailer with a roll up garage door between the garage and the house. You have the tow rig.
TinBenders
2002 Jeep Wrangler
39.5's, Atlas, D60's.

2014 Thor Chateau 35SK.
BTW, It's a Super C!!

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Custom. Sundowner builds a custom open deck rear with living quarters up front. Becker and Featherlight would prolly be interested in you moneybas well.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
It seems that something with a partial open deck makes more sense.

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

Bedlam
You almost need a hybrid of your current setup. An open deck for your rigs, an enclosed garage for your tools and parts and dedicated living space. Maybe take off the truck sleeper and add a larger toterhome module with slides on your truck, then use the gooseneck deck for your garage and open toys?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
The closest thing I have seen would be my trailer, a 31' '04 Toymate by Automate custom built with 3 axles (only triple axle Bill Wyrich ever built!), 21,000 gross trailer weight, built for my cousin to haul his crawler and parts. Has 11,000 lb. Cargo capacity though I don't load it that heavy. I have a 15' garage and can fit a quad in the kitchen as well. I have put a Jeep Cherokee in it and fits my CJ7 comfortably. To pull this off he had to double the framing in the back door, the extra axle made it lose a folding stair, no dinette (we use a folding table), a folding counter in the kitchen and most of the cabinetry is in the front bedroom. Can fit 96" with one of the couches removed and 86" of head room under the rear bed allows my CJ7 with 5" lift on 35" tires.

My cousin's latest crawler is too wide, he had to get a custom trailer pulled by a class C Motorhome.

Still not going to fit all you do.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

Class_A_DP_1
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to announce "Chocolate Thunnn-derrrrrrr!" but that doesn't look like its in California.

Nice setup. It really looks closer to ideal for your use just the way you have it now than any manufactured TH that I have seen. Your foundation of the truck and trailer are likely carrying way better than most toy haulers do.

Now, Featherlite has some doable option$ for you. But you understand all that.

Nice!!
Prevost XL40 Country Coach Conversion

Redwoodcamper
Explorer
Explorer
Nice crawlers. Nothing out there for our kinda breed. Either double tow and hope for no law enforcment trouble or custom build. Did I see you at koh?
2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think your going to find a TH to fit your vehicles, width and weight without it being a fully custom build.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler