cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WW toy hauler electrical

Windowman
Explorer
Explorer
The other night the breaker tripped On the electric panel I’m plugged into so I reset it and my 2 bathroom plugs still are not working and I tried to reset the GFI outlet but it still will not reset. All the fuses are good and no breakers in the 5th wheel are tripped. I ran out of ideas on what it could except for the possibility of the actual GFI plug itself.
4005 FLT
16 REPLIES 16

dedmiston
^What he said.

Converter: Power from a wall outlet (AC) or generator >> Converter >> Charges Batteries (DC)

Inverter: Coach Batteries (DC) >> Inverter >> Wall outlets in your coach (AC)

Your toy hauler came standard with some sort of converter to charge your batteries. It may or may not have come with an inverter (probably not). And depending on the size of the inverter and how it was installed, it may or may not supply power to each of the outlets in your hauler.

This might be an overgeneralization, but you might be able to tell which is which just by the proximity to the batteries. Your inverter should be physically very close to your batteries.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
They should have some labeling, name, spec on them.
Perhaps it would be easier for you to look up the definition of inverter and converter/charger.
One turns DC power into AC power (inverter) and the other turns AC power into DC power to power DC loads and charge the battery while plugged in (converter).
Generator will power AC loads including the converter to run the DC loads and charge battery.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Windowman
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Are you sure they're both converters? Maybe one is a converter and the other is an inverter?

Yes you are correct, what is the easiest way to understand what they each do?
I got the generator running good now. The inverter is on the storage compartment wall with the generator on the other side of the wall from it.

Windowman
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, good question. I’ll check and let you know.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are you sure they're both converters? Maybe one is a converter and the other is an inverter?

Windowman
Explorer
Explorer
Well he had the plug there so I was assuming that it was correct since he has a 5th wheel but I won’t be doing that again. But I did it and know it’s correct now.

On To another question about the converters in the trailer. There are 2 and one is a smaller one on the inside by the breaker box and then there is another one in the storage area that is larger so I know nothing about these or when they are used or when they kick in. Can someone give me a little bit of information on them? The guy I got the trailer from was no help.
Thanks

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
14 is 15 Amp service.
12 is 20 Amp
10 is 30 Amp

That was way undersized. This is the reason for permits and inspections.

Windowman
Explorer
Explorer
It was on the house outlet that I plug my trailer into, they installed A 50 amp outlet but they used just a standard 14/2 wire for me to plug into so they are the hot and neutral and then the ground wire so that only made it a 30 amp service with a 50 amp plug. I don’t know what they were thinking but I’ll have to look at his trailer and see why he did that but I needed a true 50 amp Service since I have two ACs refrigerator a washer dryer and all the other stuff and I couldn’t figure out why my second I see the bathroom plugs in an outside plug wasn’t working and my girlfriend kept telling me she smelled electrical and I couldn’t find anything or smell anything and I just happened to check the plug and pull it apart

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Windowman wrote:
I found out what the problem was, they had a 50 amp plug but they use a household current 14/2 to run it so it was basically 30 amp To a 50 amp outlet and it was straining everything and wire was getting hot started to melt my plug So I went down and got a new plug for my RV and some 6 gauge wire And re-wired it myself properly, I normally don’t like to mess with wiring but being a general contractor I do it when I really have to but since I moved I didn’t have a electrician that I normally use but at least I know it’s done correctly this time. Guess I got lucky that it didn’t burn my RV up but now everything is working again properly.

Are you saying this was on the wiring in the trailer?
The large 50 Amp plug that can be used to plug into house voltage?
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Windowman
Explorer
Explorer
I found out what the problem was, they had a 50 amp plug but they use a household current 14/2 to run it so it was basically 30 amp To a 50 amp outlet and it was straining everything and wire was getting hot started to melt my plug So I went down and got a new plug for my RV and some 6 gauge wire And re-wired it myself properly, I normally don’t like to mess with wiring but being a general contractor I do it when I really have to but since I moved I didn’t have a electrician that I normally use but at least I know it’s done correctly this time. Guess I got lucky that it didn’t burn my RV up but now everything is working again properly.

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
AC doesn't come on, that sounds like a breaker.
You have breakers inside the trailer and breakers on the genny itself.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Windowman
Explorer
Explorer
Well that didn’t take care of the problem but when I pulled the plug out there was some build up kind of a fungus in there so water had been getting into the plug so I’m gonna go ahead and change the plug out because the connections are all kind of corroded but the other thing my girl told me because we’ve been doing the work on it and she was there Sunday doing some work in the bedroom she had the AC on But then yesterday she was there finishing up the work and the AC wouldn’t come on so all this happened at the same time I believe so I’m gonna need to track that down too

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
Windowman wrote:
You know it could be because of the outlet outside the door because that one is not working also and I did have the cover open with something plugged into it when it rained. So that’s probably the culprit so I will blow it out with my air compressor when I get home and see if that fixes the issue.

I bet that is it. Good luck.

My compressor didn't dry it enough, plus I was impatient. So I took it apart and bypassed it completely.

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

Windowman
Explorer
Explorer
You know it could be because of the outlet outside the door because that one is not working also and I did have the cover open with something plugged into it when it rained. So that’s probably the culprit so I will blow it out with my air compressor when I get home and see if that fixes the issue.